Ch 14: Fun Festivites

"Do you want to see my painting later?" Xavier asks me as he washes his hands in the kitchen sink.

I'm eating a ham and cheese toasted cheese sandwich, Xavier said he'd make one for me but I made it myself.

I nod at him in agreement as the cheese stretches out of the sandwich and in a moment breaks and tiny strings of cheese fall back down onto the bread.

"I was thinking since it isn't that late yet, we could even go to the park or something like that?" He asks me.

I contemplate it, but it's worrisome. The ratio of humans to vampires is about 1:3 with the 1 being humans. I'd be worried there are too many vampires around. Plus, what if Xavier isn't the person he says he is? Generally I'd trust a person like him and I feel bad to have doubts but he could kill me, or attack me, and I would have no chance.

"You can bring along someone if you wish" he says, looking at me hopefully.

"Okay" I say.

I guess I'll bring along Nate, he gave me his dorms number incase I needed to call him.

"That's great" Xavier smiles at me and his dimples show up.

"I just have to call someone" I say and finish my sandwich before getting up.

"Yeah, sure, I will go get ready" he says and heads upstairs.

Is it weird that I'm kind of excited to get out of the house? Granted there are blood sucking vampires out there?

I go the the phone in the first room, the one Orpheus called me on, and pull out the piece of scrap paper with torn edges and a series of numbers written on the back along with "-Nate" written next to them.

I dial the number and the dial tone runs for about 4 seconds before someone picks up. It's not Nate. It's a boy though.

"Theo house, James speaking" the person says and I am surprised by the formality of his greeting.

Of course, just like with me, the headmaster could call at any time.

"Hello? It's Eva Matthews, I'm a friend of Nates, is he home?" I ask.

He pauses for a second "Eva Matthews, where have I heard that?"

He seems to ponder on my name and then I hear a clicking sound that he makes with his tongue before continuing.

"You're that new human girl right?" He asks me.

"Uh, yes, I suppose I am" I say, getting tired of hearing it "could I speak to Nate?"

"Yeah, hold on one second" he says before I hear the phone be put down.

About 30 seconds later Nate picks up the phone.

"Hey, Eva" he says, sounding a little breathless.

"Yeah, hi, I was wondering if you'd like to come hang out with me and Xavier at the park" I say.

"Oh, really? Okay" he says and my mood lightens.

"Thanks, I really appreciate it" I say, smiling.

"It's cool, when do you want to meet?" He asks as I hear Xavier coming down the stairs.

"Well I'm going to go get ready after this and that'll just take five minutes, so let me just ask" I put down the phone and turn to Xavier.

"How far is the park from us?" I ask.

"About a five minute walk, it's Jeremiah park" he says.

I pick up the phone "Nate? We'll be there in about ten to fifteen minutes, it's Jeremiah Park" I tell him.