Chapter 4

"A smile is the easiest way out of a difficult situation."

----

I wiggle furiously in the grind of my bindings, struggling to free my swelling ankles of this unique technique of suffocation. Burning sensations stroke the surface of my skin like lightning on water, causing me to cringe with every tug of my leg.
Roku stands before me, his back hunched and his long beard dangling before my nose. His good eye squinted in thought as he stared at me, remaining as quiet as a mouse. As I ultimately give up and sag my own shoulders in defeat, I squint up at him, "It's no use.." I utter helplessly, taking a moment to feel awful for myself in this impossible situation. Frankly I'm ashamed in my defeat.

Normally, I could take my hands and rip the robe right from my ankles, however, two set backs remained.

For one, my arms too are binded cleverly out of reach of the rope, and secondly, I can't even seem to get my chakra flow straight in the first place. Clenching my fist to confirm my thought I furrow my brows in frustration.

"Try again." Roku rasps. That was when I about realized the only thing that is preventing me from going completely insane, was he right here. It had been several days, may I add. It didn't help my hope that I felt slowly etching away, but, that was almost replaced with something more than hope.

Determination.

Why the hell would I give myself into these monsters? Why would Roku?

Why would Naruto?

I look at him, quite perplexed, despite this. There was an adopted tone to his voice, something...

Authoritative...

That I never heard before. Shaking my head, I strain my neck to get a good look at my ankles. Blowing some hair from my face, I begin twisting again, trying to shift my ankles into just the right position and pull myself out. However, I gave a sharp gasp as the rope continued to dig savagely into my inflamed ankles. Despite this, Roku watches me, staring until I made progress. I could hear the hissing of guards just outside the cell and I freeze solidly, peering between the bars. Roku follows my gaze and he eventually turns his broken stare back to me, "Quick, child." He demands. Frustration stabs at my chest but I supress an argument. He wouldn't be standing here if he knew it wasn't possible.

Taking a deep breath I whip my torso and my legs to one side and bite my tongue to supress a scream as the rope fought against my force and remained stubbornly tight. Then, to my utter relief, there was a cracking snap and the robe slackened considerably.

The wrinkles around his eyes also loosened as well. He breaths a small sigh. "Come, stand up." He grunts, offering me his gnarled hand. A tingling sensation haunts my swelling ankles as I take Roku's hand in mine, standing with some extra help of the brick wall behind me.

They were sore alright, but at least I could walk. Which, I'm only assuming was what really, really mattered here.

Now for my hands..I take a moment to look at Roku's. They were still enclosed in the tight chains of custody. I wasn't about to ask how long they had been that way. The answer wouldn't surprise me after all.

Hands shove me weakly to the side and I blink at Roku in surprise but my mouth shuts tight with the sound of pattering on the stone just outside our cell,

"Quick, sit, sit." He hisses. Roku ushers my ribs with another sharp push and I set myself down obediently, wincing as my ankles sting in the sudden panic. As I look over to Roku, I see him wobbling off to the side of the cell, the dark swallowing his back.

I almost jump as a large clatter sounds from the bars just in time. The broad snout of a animorph was stuck in between the metal, its tounge shoving through its lips to hiss in aggitation,