Chapter 2

My breath caught in my throat and I nearly felt a gagging sensation. It couldn't be him...

There's no way.

Naruto gasped and somersaulted out of the way, as an airborn puppet crashed into the building where he was previously. As my teammate stumbled to his feet, his sapphire eyes widened and his voice worked to the vocals of my name.

Sakura.

I could feel my eyes soften with relief, and my gut screamed to hug him, and scold him, punish him for his foolishness. But this wasn't the time. Hell, there might not be a time.

The puppet turned with a sick creak, it's body tangled in the mess. Rubble tumbled onto its shoulder and wedged in its ribs. The expertly carved figurine matched that of a former shinobi I never came to know.
It was sick

I barked at Naruto, commanding him to get out of the way as I threw my fist into the earth. My chest fluttered with satisfaction as the ground cracked and sent a splinter torwards the puppet. The earth suddenly jutted out in dull, fatal pillars, like a broken Jack in the Box. It struck the heart of the mess, and the weapon wedged there flew backwards. Several of its limbs snapped, but none detaching completely. Before it could soar any farther, a flash of bright thread jerked it back into the builing, now dark as an abyss itself.

The distance between us and the crumpled structure remained still. Only the soft breath of my friends, and the quiet thump of my heart remained. My throat was no longer tight with disbelief.. In fact, it loosened as if something inside of me knew this was coming.

But I didn't. It couldn't be him.

Sasori was supposed to be dead, and that was that. I watched him die before my eyes. Who could be so clever to fake every last step of that? There came a soft chuckle and a ghostly silouhette stepped out, glowering from the dust. Through closer inspection, I could see the blood red clouds that scattered his robe, the sleeves hanging limply where his arms never reached. The man's hood was pulled delicately over his lazy red hair. His eyes, a handsome wave of past lonliness, and sadness. Emotions that remained hidden from his opponents. Never to see mercy, and love

Ever again.

Before us stood Sasori of The Red Sand.

His soft mouth tilted lightly into a smirk all too farmiliar for me, "You best stay out of my way." He warned. His golden eyes pin pointed on the two of us.

Temari gripped her fan and her mouth narrowed. "Don't expect us to take the easy way out." She said quietly. Her beautfiul eyes flickering with the fire of determination, and adrenaline.

This was her village

Her comrades

Her life.

Sasori tisked. His fingers flexing like that of a cat's tail. His puppet swooning slowly before him, its features shadowed by the dimming light, "I'd hate to see your friend's demise linger any..longer." Sasori uttered. His eyes resting on Naruto, who's face was wrinkled into a snarl of hatred.

"Give me your best shot!"

I flashed him a wide eyed look. What was he doing? I drifted one foot to the side in prepare position, glaring at the puppet master and he, in turn, chuckled, "I thought you'd never ask." he cooed. With cracking and creaking, his puppet transformed so it no longer represented the shape of an unfortunate Shinobi. A fatal, slaughter device replaced it now. Hand crafted from the finger tips of a man, and the mind of a monster.

Sasori's careful eyes stared back at us, his easy smirk settling on his face. The man's mocha eyes shaded in mockery, and challenge, "Come on now, don't keep me waiting."