54

( ASHES TO ASHES )

SAMUEL COLT'S HOUSE
[ ☼ ]

       Sam opens Samuel's door and peers inside. "Hello?" He asks as Samuel throws holy water on Sam. "Okay, not a demon! Not a demon! Just—just a hunter. Sheesh."

      "You're what?" Asks Samuel.

      "You Samuel Colt? My name is Sam Winchester. I'm—I'm a hunter from the year 2011."

      "Prove it." Samuel says as Sam hands him his blackberry. Samuel looks at it and heads back to his desk. "All right." He places Sam's blackberry behind his desk on the bookshelf.

      "A-all right? That's—uh, that's it?" Sam asks.

      "Well, when you've done this job as long as I have...a giant from the future with some magic brick doesn't exactly give you the vapors."

      "I need your help killing a Phoenix." Says Sam.

      "A Phoenix? They exist?" Samuel asks.

      "Well, you shoot one in about three hours."

       "If you say so." Says Samuel.

       "I don't. You do." Sam hands Samuel Colt's journal to Samuel Colt.

       Samuel Colt looks at his two journals laying on top of each other. "That's...I'm either too drunk or not drunk enough. So what is it I'm about to exactly do?" He asks.

      "Well, the Phoenix is in sunrise, so, uh, if we leave now, you can—" Sam starts.

      "I appreciate your situation, but I'm not gonna be of any help to you. I'm booked."

       "Right, but—but you say right here—" Sam starts.

       "Don't believe everything that you read." Samuel says.

      "But you're a hunter."

       "Retired." Samuel corrects.

       "There's no such thing." Sam says.

       "I'm out."

       "There is no getting out." Sam says. "Look, for what it's worth, in my time, you're a hero."

       "Me?"

       "Yes, sir." Says Sam and Samuel Colt laughs. "Now, look, we—we need to kill this Phoenix. Its ashes are the only thing that can kill the monster I'm hunting. So stow your crap for a few hours, and let's go. We got to go now. So, either you're coming with me, or I need the gun."

       "What gun?" Samuel asks.

       "The gun."

       "Oh, that gun. I lost it in a game of Stud." Says Samuel

       "You're lying."

      "Am I?" Samuel laughs. "Now, that doesn't sound like me."

       "You shot a couple of demons with it less than an hour ago." Sam says.

       "How do you figure?" Samuel asks.

       Sam breathes deeply and points towards the door. "Two pairs of bootprints. Cabin reeks of sulfur." He says.

      Samuel Colt nods. "Not bad." He opens his jacket so Sam can see the colt in his holster. "You don't want it. It's a curse. Believe me."

      "Great. Then let me take it off your hands." Sam says.