Chapter 31 ~The End

"Today is a day of special importance, a day of honor and reverence; it is a solemn day. Last night we fought for our lives to defend the wizarding world from an evil and ruthless man and his army. We are battered, we are bruised, and we are hurting but countless men and women laid down their lives to protect wizarding generations to come. These fathers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, and mothers will live on in our hearts and minds. A legacy was formed last night for the brave heroes, those that passed and those still with us today. Honor the fallen but hold on to the ones still here. Celebrate the lives that were filled with joy and happiness and hold dearly onto those memories. Keep your heads held high knowing your loved ones will always be looking down on you from above. Support those around you as we all recover. Now, will everyone please bow their heads for a moment of silence for the fallen?"
Lucy looks out over the crowd gathered in the Great Hall, their heads all bowed and the room silent save for the occasional sobs and sniffles. She wipes away a few stray tears of her own and waits quietly for everyone to lift their heads again. Her eyes connect with George's who nods at her and smiles faintly through his tears.
"Thank you. Professor McGonnagol has asked me to share with you all that you are welcome to stay at Hogwarts until you are ready to leave. Classes will not resume until the new term in September and graduation will be suspended until a later date. Thank you again."
She takes her wand away from her throat and lifts it into the air and everyone follows suit. When she lowers her wand again, she slips down from the Professor's table at the front of the Great Hall and disappears into the crowd to her family. She's suddenly surrounded by eight children of varying ages. Her gaze drifts over all of them before looking up to their parents and chokes back tears at their resemblance to Bethany.
"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Cronwell. I'm so sorry this happened. I'll take you to her."
"She was always a headstrong girl, protective and determined. She took care of her siblings and guarded them with her life. I like to think she did this to preserve the integrity of their futures." Mrs. Cronwell tells her quietly as they make their way over to where Bethany was placed. The children all rush over and surround Bethany and hug her, the older ones crying while the younger ones didn't understand what is happening. Lucy turns to leave the family alone, but Mrs. Cronwell wraps her in a hug.
"Thank you Lucy for being her friend. She'd never been happier than she was after she met you."
"It was an honor to be friends with such an amazing young woman. You raised a wonderful daughter."
The two women squeeze each other slightly before parting and Lucy returns to her family. They all slowly apparate to their own houses, leaving Lucy alone with Fred's body.
"Hey Fred. It's horrid not having you here with me. I can't believe you're gone. I didn't get the chance to tell you, you're going to be a father. I wanted to wait and tell you after I graduated, but when the battle started, I wanted to tell you just in case... I know you probably can't hear me, but I hope you can. Please watch over everyone and keep Bethany out of trouble up there. I'll see you again someday, my love. I will always love you with every beat of my heart. Rest well Fred."
She leans down and kisses him gently before apparating home.