Chapter 16- The Truth

CHAPTER 16

The Truth

We got running to the Whomping Willow. I remembered my dream, so I pressed a certain knot in the tree and it stopped moving.

“How did you know-“ started Lupin.

I barked for him to know this wasn’t the moment… I was still in dog form, so I could fit in the tunnel entrance easily. I ran in, Lupin didn’t have it that easy so he was a bit behind.

“WE’RE UP HERE!” I heard Hermione scream. “WE’RE UP HERE – SIRIUS BLACK – QUICK!”

I ran in the room still in my dog form to find Harry pointing a wand directly at Serius chest that was protected by Crookshanks. Serius had a black eye and his nose was bleeding. Ron was on the floor, his leg hurt, his face slightly green. Hermione was standing up, her lip bleeding.

I transformed back to myself.

“Expelliarmus!”  I said, and Harry’s wand and the two Hermione was holding flew out of their hands. I caught them and got them in my robe’s pocket.

Lupin came in right after me.

“Where is he, Sirius?” asked Lupin

Sirius’s face was expressionless. For a few seconds he didn’t move. Then, very slowly, he raised his empty hand and pointed it straight at Ron, who looked bewildered.

“But then…” Lupin muttered, staring at Sirius so intently it seemed he was trying to read his mind… he… he’s trying to copy me! “… why hasn’t he shown himself before now? Unless” – Lupin’s eyes widened, as though seeing something beyond Sirius, something none of us could see, “- unless… Ashley was right. You switched, without telling me?”

“Of course I was right!” I said annoyed he hadn’t trusted me.

“Professor,” Harry interrupted loudly, “what’s going on – ?”

But he never finished the question, because he saw me helping Serius up, and Lupin lowered his wand. As soon as Sirius was standing, Lupin embraced him like a brother.

“I DON’T BELIEVE IT!” Hermione screamed.

Lupin let go of Sirius and turned to her. She was pointing at Lupin, wild-eyed. “You – you -“

“Hermione – “ I tried.

“You and him!” she finished.

“Hermione, calm down – “ I tried again, in a calm voice.

“I didn’t tell anyone!” Hermione shrieked, now looking at me. “Just like Ashley asked! You too! I’ve been covering up for you – “

“Hermione, listen to me please” Lupin shouted, “I can explain – “

Harry was furiously shaking.

“I trusted you,” he shouted at Lupin and me, making me shriek away and tears formed in my eyes. “and all this time you helped him!”

“You’re wrong,” said Lupin. “Ashley and I haven’t been helping Serius, but we are now – Let me explain…”

“NO!” Hermione screamed. “Harry don’t trust them, they’ve been helping Black get into the castle, they want you dead too – and Lupin’s a werewolf!”

There was suddenly a silence as everyone turned to Lupin, who looked calm, but I could tell it was just a mask.

“Not at all up to your usual standard, Hermione,” he said, “Only one out of three, I’m afraid. Ashley and I haven’t been helping Sirius get into the castle and we certainly don’t want Harry dead.” A shiver passed over his face. “But I won’t deny that I’m a werewolf.”