I'm Yours

I'm yours, a very short (boring) novella.

Copyright Rianna Heppenstall 2011

Part 3

So this was prom in its entirety.

The night when a bunch of sixteen year olds go to some tack school hall to play grown up for a while. This is the night when things change. A night for new beginnings, you could say. I was standing in the corner with half a plastic cup of some weird concoction of drink that had probably been spiked by now. I didn't know why I bothered to be honest, why go to all the trouble of getting a nice frock and putting on make-up is all I was going to do was sit and be a party popper. But then again, parties were never my scene anyway. I still don’t know exactly how Sammi convinced me that this was a good idea.

So you could say I hated Prom. It's one night where everybody obsesses over who they're going with and what colour scheme they'll choose. In the end, all they do is slap on a bucket load of make up in a desperate hope that they'll be somewhat attractive with their Amber faces. They simply go in a dress that is way overpriced and tacky with a cheek date who hopes they can get laid. They go, play grown up for a while the get so hammered they can't even remember their own names and then end up losing their "big v" in the back of a car in the car-park. I recognised some girls from my classes but didn’t move to greet them as they were dressed in clothes that they presumably borrowed from their little sisters as they were shorted than a belt, lower than a scarf and of course the people themselves were as orange as Sammi’s dress. Speaking of my best friend who would never abandon me, she was dancing with some guy from our Art class. Things seemed to be getting a little frisky as the music got louder. There were some teachers there but they looked pretty out of it so didn’t notice the sudden change of tempo the music offered. My nerves were tighter than a bungee cord as I waited for my plan to kick in. The only minor technical fault was that neither Will nor James had arrived yet which really threw a spanner in the works. Maybe James had decided to give up on Sammi and move on to somebody older and less likely to have a big bawl out on a bus. Though when I met him he didn’t seem that older than us or maybe my perception was wrong that day. I scanned the crowd once again for Will but it seemed like he wasn’t going to turn up which was odd, I thought, being as though he was the most popular guy in school. People would notice his absence. Just then, I felt breath on my neck and moved to the side thinking it was somebody dancing but when a pair of extremely muscled arms wrapped around my torso I knew that Will had arrived. I grinned and turned to face him only to find out that it wasn’t Will that was stood behind me but James. I laughed at my mistake before greeting him with a smile.

“Dance with me?” He asked and I took him up on his offer. Old Jane wouldn’t have approved of this thinking it would ruin his chances with Sammi but new Jane didn’t seem to care. And Jane is wondering why Jane is referring to herself in third person like a lunatic.

“Shouldn’t you be trying you luck with Sam not me?” I asked as I wrapped my arms around his neck swaying slightly. Wow I think that punch really was spiked.

“Nah, her hands look full at the moment” He replied and I glanced over to see her having a full on make out session in the middle of the dance floor. I raised my eyebrows at her behaviour thinking she must have had more magic punch than I did.

“True. Doesn’t that put you off?” I asked curiously. If I were James then I’d think she was slut and want nothing to do with her but as her best friend I was inclined to make up excuses for her like she was drunk or something.

“Not really. I’m not with her so I don’t have a right to be jealous.” He shrugged truthfully.

“But are you?” I asked curious again. I liked this guy; he seemed friendly enough and I just hoped that Sammi would give him a chance.