Chapter 5: Bloodhound Canyon

Start from the beginning

"What about you?" He sat down on the edge of the bed and scrubbed the towel through his hair.

"Relaxed and drew a little." I glanced down at my sketches I had done early of two pups playing outside.

"Sounds like a carefree day."

"Yeah it was. Um, Titus?"

"Hmmm..." He tossed the towel over to the dirty clothes pile.

I rested my chin on the back of the chair. "Today I stopped two middle ranks from hurting an omega."

His eyes slowly moved toward me.

"They hurt him. I tried to help him clean it, but he won't let me. He ran away actually." I laid my head to the side and looked at the picture on the wall. "Do you threaten everyone to stay away from me or something?"

"Aden," he breathed, running his hand down his face. "This is just how ranking works."

"I'm a sub, though. The omega was bigger than me. It's not like I could have hurt him."

"Hurting you is the same as an attack on me."

"Oh," I sucked in my lips. "It makes sense then why he was scared to death. The middle ranks didn't put up much of a fight either when I told them to leave."

Titus held out his hand and waved me over. I went to his side.

My mate put his arm around my shoulder and squeezed me against him. "You have more power in this pack than you think."

"I guess."

"Please don't cause problems, though. I prefer if you told me or Darius if you see something like that again. If it was uncalled for, then we can punish them."

"Titus, he was scared to death. I doubt he did anything to them."

"What does the omega look like?"

I wrung my hand in my lap and took a deep breath. "I don't know if I should tell you."

"Aden," he nuzzled my cheek.

"His name's River."

Titus rubbed my arm with his eyebrows raised. "Oh, River." He sighed. "A daydreamer, who gets himself into my trouble than even you."

I scowled at him. "I do not."

"Getting in Chris truck, the party incident, Base Acid," Titus listed.

I turned away from him. "I was young and stupid."

"That was a few months ago," he exclaimed.

"Well, I did a lot of growing up over those months. I'm married now."

He chuckled in my ear and kissed my cheek. "I know you want to help, but sometimes helping makes it worse. If River wrong those werewolves, then they're allowed to punish him. To put him back in his place. That's how our society works."

"Sounds stupid to me," I muttered.

"How else are you going make a pack of werewolves behave? Asking nicely doesn't really work as you've seen with my brother."

"Still," I huffed. "He won't have done anything bad enough to deserve being pushed around by them."

"I'll look into it, but for now," he grabbed both of my upper arms and turned me toward him, "don't get yourself into a middle of a fight," he pled, placing soft kisses around my eyes. "I don't want to have to kill someone. We haven't been married that long, and it'll look bad."

I scoffed at him. "So funny, asshole."

He smiled. "I'm hilarious." He pressed his lips to mine. "But I'm also serious."