Chapter 36

“And so we have further reports that say the snow has already begun melting. However, the damage has been done. We have flocks that are too small to support the families herding them and the loss of many kids and lambs now means that next year we will have a shortage. What solutions do you propose?” Brendis asked, slowly sweeping the council room with his gaze.

            They were seated around a large circular table. Tall, cushioned chairs surrounded it, evenly spaced, every one of them in use. The room itself was plain, just pink stone and two wood doors with not even a window to look out of. Darren told Valerie that that was on purpose, to keep the councillors on track. Each door had two Royal Guards on them while Isaac stood behind Valerie, Erramun behind Darren, and there were two half-familiar men standing behind the king that Val assumed were his bodyguards.

            She watched the councillors begin shouting out ideas all at once, their voices creating a cacophony that no one person could be heard over. She got snatches though.

            “…should send more of the army to…”

            “Fool! That will only cause…”

            “…if we raise taxes we…”

            “…why we bother…”

            “…just use them and be done with it.”

            Brendis allowed the yelling to continue for several minutes, Valerie assumed so that they would wear themselves out, before holding up a hand for silence. She was surprised when it actually worked. The way they’d been yelling she’d thought nothing short of a gunshot would shut them up. “I will go around the table, starting at my right, and allow each of you to voice your opinion.”

            The councillors nodded, their grey hair adding an air of wisdom to the move, and the first one stood, telling them all that they should give the herders a tax break in the following year and that would fix things. Valerie tried not to roll her eyes at the stupidity of this.

            The next one’s plan was no better. His mustache twitching as he spoke, he told them they should just ignore the herders and let them sort it out for themselves. The hand Darren laid on her knee stopped her from yelling at him but only barely.

            And it went around, almost every person presenting an idea that was stupid, poorly thought out, or ineffective at best. The only ones who suggested something feasible were Lord Deepharbour, a thin man called General Griffson, and a rabbit looking Lord Hillfield. Rabar’s father suggested sending more of the army to settle things and take stock of the supplies people had then use Crown goods to make up the difference in what was needed.

            General Griffson said, “Get ‘em combine their herds together. You can be sure families are already doing that but add some kind of Crown incentive to get ‘em to keep it up. Maybe extra supplies or adding a few more beasts or the like.”

            Lord Hillfield, who’s lands were some of the most affected, asked about the possibility of importing as many extra animals as possible. A slight tax increase would give them the funds needed to replace what had been lost.

            The last person to be designated to speak was Darren, who sat on his father’s left. He bowed his head to let control pass back to his father when he caught sight of the flash of purple that was Valerie’s sleeve. He stared at her raised hand, in company with the other councillors, several of whom had open mouths.

             The king’s lips twitched ever so slightly, much the way his son’s did when he was trying not to smile. “Yes, Lady Valerie?”

           She stood, placing her hands flat on the table and leaning forward to look at them all. “I have a questions before I say anything else. Is this the only area where there are a lot of herders?”

            Darren shook himself out of his shock. “No,” he told her. “The lands to our north and to our west also have significant herder populations. Why?”

            Her gaze flicked to him for a moment before going back to the council. “Then why not get some of them to bring their herds down to the coast? I’m sure there are places with too many animals or maybe people who are looking for a change. Give them the chance to move down there. I’d give special incentives to those who are single since they’re more likely to remain in the area if they find someone to pair up with. At the worst, I’m sure you can find plenty of people with extra animals there that you can send to the west. Then you don’t have to wait for the imported ones and are helping support your own people. Besides, messing with taxes will only upset more people.”

            Now even Brendis was staring at her. Behind her, Val could hear Isaac’s faint snickers. She wished her chair put him within kicking distance. Certainly the gaping, wide-eyed, and often frog or fish-like faces the councillors were making were funny, but laughing at them would earn her no favours.

            Tolsten of Deepharbour was the first to break himself out of his surprise to grin. “Lady Valerie’s suggestion has merit. If we relocate those who wish it, we can repopulate the herds using our resources. Buying the extra animals can be done as well, allowing us to boost the decimated herds up to the size needed to support their herders.”

            “It’ll take planning and time to move that many people and beasts. But it can be done,” General Griffson said, stroking his stubbly chin as he thought it over.

            “At this point, my people will welcome anyone who can bring help them last the winter,” Lord Hillfield continued, eyes flitting from person to person.

            “Where are we to find the resources for this without raising taxes?” Lord Whiteshores, at least that’s what Val remembered his name as, demanded.

            “Why waste our money on these people? Let them settle this on their own,”  one of the other lords said.

            Valerie saw the General stiffen and glare at the offending lord. She could feel her body doing the same and it was only Darren’s hand clamped down on her knee that kept her from leaping up and saying something rude.

Griffson had no hand on his knee. “Are you an idiot? Or just that arrogant not to realize your job as councillor is to do what’s best for the people? How dare you suggest we abandon them!”

“General,” the king’s voice was soft but the other man immediately snapped upright, like he was standing at attention. “I thank you for your opinions but I believe I have made my stance on councillors insulting one another clear.”

He bowed, one hand over his heart. “I’m sorry, your majesty. I won’t do it again.”

Brendis smiled before n a much a cooler gaze on rather smug looking man. “And you, Lord Birchwood, when you joined this council you took oaths. If you make a similar comment again I will have no choice but to remove you from you position.”

Birchwood blanched. “My apologies. I will ensure it doesn’t happen a second time. I fear I have been overly zealous in finishing out meeting swiftly.”

“Are there any further comments?” The king asked.

Frantic head shakes all around. “Then shall we discuss how we are to finance and organize this venture?”

Another burst of talk exploded around them and Valerie sat. She’d offer her opinion again if necessary but otherwise, this was too complicated for her to follow.