Chapter 10

Valerie stood in the middle of a small, elegantly appointed room just off the throne room. The walls were covered in a kind of woven wallpaper that was covered in black and green ivy on a white background. A fireplace was empty of anything but the tiniest piles of ash hiding in the corners. A couch, two divans and several chairs were settled into three groups. One around the fireplace, one in front of the wide beautifully carved table, and one in the corner farthest from the two doors. A heavy carpet that repeated the colours and ivy theme from the walls softened the stone floors.

“Did I mention that I’m going to kill you?”

            Darren smiled at Val. “Yes. Several times. Just relax. It’s only a quick ceremony so the rest of the Court will know who you are. Nothing to worry about.”

            She glared at him, on hand wrapped white knuckled around her sword’s hilt. Her other hand was clenched around the edge of her hem. “Yes because being stared at by nearly all of the nobles in your entire damn country isn’t worrisome at all.”

            He fought down a chuckle as he laid a hand on her shoulder. “I’m surprised. I thought you’d be all afire to eat them alive.”

            “One or two people is fine. An entire crowd of them…”

            Darren grabbed her head and pulled it over close enough that he could kiss the top of it. “You’ll be fine. What’s a couple of courtiers compared to Jaloam?”

            She shivered at the mention of the hated word but her chin rose anyway. She was being ridiculous she decided. How bad could a bunch of courtiers be?

            A quiet knock on the door in front of them let them know it was time. Valerie took a deep, steadying breath. She didn’t protest when Darren took her left hand and tucked it into the crook of his arm. She squeezed tightly though she didn’t look anywhere but ahead of her.

            Walking through the door into the wide throne room, Val’s expression only flickered briefly out of its impassive mask. The room was filled with light, the sun pouring in through the large windows on the right side of the room. The sunlight shone off the polished white marble floors and caressed the neat line of spiraled carved columns that marched down each side from the dais. The thrones of the dais were simpler than she’d thought they’d be. Made of finely polished wood and each covered with one small green cushion, they held two people that Valerie assumed were Darren’s parents.

            His mother’s black hair, so much like Darren’s own, was shot through with dark grey. Pulled up into a tight bun, a small gold crown glinted on top of her head. She was dressed in gold embroidered purple, the colour picking up highlights in her brown eyes.

            Beside her was the king. His hair had only a hint of brown remaining, the rest was an ash colour. His neatly trim beard didn’t even have the trace of brown the top of his head had. He dressed in blue and gold, harmonizing with his queen.

            Before the dais stood rows of people all wearing clothes that screamed importance. Bright embroidery, shining metals and glinting gems caught the light set among a rainbow of expensive fabrics. The owners of the clothing were all staring straight at Valerie. She had to push down a sudden feeling of nausea as her mind was repeating an endless refrain of goddamn Darren, goddamn Darren, goddamn Darren!

            The king and queen rose, Darren’s father taking a step forward to address the assemblage. “My lords and ladies, today is a joyful day. Today is the day my son has brought back his princess. I present to you Princess Valerie, a Cinderella!”