Chapter 27

Amid birdsong and grey sky, with their arms wrapped around their knees and their eyes bright as they watched Valerie, the five children sat in their secret hollow. She kept her eyes on them as she paced in front, dropping her voice and crooking on finger as she continued with the story. “Curse you Peter Pan! Just wait until I get my hook in you.”

            She leapt back and changed her voice to a wavering, laughing high point. “Come up here and get me, Captain Codfish.”

            Bending low she began in a whisper and slowly got louder as she chanted, “Tick tock, tick tock.”

            “It is the crocodile!” Bayon cried, practically vibrating in his seat.

            Valerie fought back a smile as she switched back to her Captain Hook voice and cowered. “No! It’s the ticking of that accursed beast. Save me Smee! He’s come for the rest of me.”

            Rubbing her hands as her voice went oily and snivelling she said, “Don’t you worry Captain. I’ve got just the thing.”

            About to switch back to her normal voice for narration, Valerie frowned at the silence. She’d gotten used to their corner of the gardens and enjoyed the ever present chirping of the birds that lived around it. The chirping that had suddenly stopped. Her hand dropped to the hilt of her sword as she swept the trees, searching for movement.

            Bayon was glaring at her pause in the story but Cavyle spoke before he could. “Valerie? Is-”

            The hand she held up cut him off, her eyes still probing the woods. “I think you children had better get up and go.”

            The five of them stood and looked at one another. Bayon had his arms crossed over his chest. “You have not finished the story.”

            Birds exploded out of their hiding places, screeching their alarm, as two tall figures leapt into the small clearing. Their white hair and black eyes caused the blood in Valerie’s face to rush out. “Run!” She screamed at the children, drawing her blade and backing up in front of them.

            “Wh-what are they?” Nateza whispered, voice breaking.

            “Jaloam! Now run,” she yelled, sweeping her sword in front of her to keep the creatures back.

            “Our client wishes to speak to you,” the left one said.

            Shoving the rising panic back down her throat, she shook her head. Running footsteps, the crash of foliage breaking and the faint sobs she could hear told her the children had finally left. There was one less thing to worry about. “No. I’m staying here.”

            The right one said, “Our client wishes to speak to you.” Both drew their blades.

            Val took a deep steadying breath. She knew she wasn’t going to escape this time. But she was damned if she was going to make it easy for them. Her sword held one handed in front of her she replied, “Make me.”

            They moved as one, running forward and striking from both sides at the same time. Valerie ducked and sent her sword slashing at their thighs. They jumped back. She swung herself back up into a proper defensive stance. They stared. She made a rude one-fingered gesture.

            Breaking apart, the two Jaloam circled her, forcing her to keep turning to keep both of them in sight at the same time. At some hidden signal, they rushed her together. She danced out of the way, swinging her blade in and along the nearest one’s arm. He twisted, but not quickly enough. When they returned to their opposite positions, one now had a dripping red sleeve.

            They circled her again, moving faster this time. Valerie had to fight against the dizziness constantly turning was giving her. This time they moved in a zigzag line as they flew across the distance between her. She caught the blade of the one in front of her, but the wounded one got behind and grabbed her arms. She kicked her foot back into his crotch. He fell back due to the force of the blow and she was able to disentangle her sword and jump clear.

            Like stupid terriers, they went back to running around her. She stopped turning to follow, instead concentrating on whichever one she could see. They came at her from the sides. She leapt away but they followed.

She caught the first sword high but realized in an instant that her stance was wide open. The other one grabbed her arms and wrapped a leg around hers. She growled low and changed the position of her hands. She knew this was her last shot. Putting all the strength that remained in her panting body, she slammed her sword down and through the one in front of her’s chest. Her strike connecting just below the collarbone. She locked her hands on the hilt, yanking her arms out of the other one’s grip as she did. The only way they were taking her was with her sword and the Jaloam on the end of it.

The front one, who she could see was the one she’d wounded, kneed her in the stomach. She gasped and choked as the air was pushed out of her body. But she kept the grip on her blade. The one behind struck out with the side of its hand, hitting her precisely where her neck and head met. She felt and heard the blow, stars blooming in her eyes to be quickly replaced with blackness. But she kept holding on to her sword.

Four minutes later, with a full contingent of guards in addition to Lyel, Erramun, and Isaac, Darren burst into the hollow. Cavyle stood by his side, pointing the way. But there was nothing there. Nothing but broken branches, some fallen leaves, and a lone bird trilling a warning.

For the second time Darren felt ice creep over his body and into his veins as he looked in vain for Valerie. The cold continued, freezing his panic and replacing it with icy anger. Someone was going to die. Several someones. And if Valerie was harmed in any way…Well, he was certain after the example he set, no one would ever dare to do so again.