Chapter 18

Chapter 18

                “Order for Stephanie,” I yelled, placing the cold up onto the counter and turned back to the ordering counter. I had half an hour left until my shift here finished, and yet even though it was so close to closing time, people were still coming in grabbing their late night coffee.

                Pushing back loose strands, I huffed and licked my dry lips, “Welcome to Starbucks, could I take your order?”

                Looking up, I froze but soon recovered. Standing before me was Zoe, her blonde hair up in a slick ponytail. She wore a grey Stanford hoodie, a pair of black yoga pants and her fluffy pink booties. Considering it was already close to midnight, I wasn’t surprised she was dressed this way. Unlike her, I was in my work uniform, a pair of khaki pants along with my black polo, my green scrub apron wrapped around my waist.

                I couldn’t wait until I could get out of these uncomfortable clothes.

                “I’ll have my usual,” she said giving me a small smile.

                I nodded and placed the order in, before taking her five dollar bill and giving her, her change back. “Thanks,” she said.

                “You’re welcome,” I replied. Looking behind her, I noticed how there wasn’t anyone else in line, due to Alexis already taking their orders next to me.

                “How have you been?” she asked. “I haven’t seen you around school lately.”

                “I’ve been fine,” I told her.

                “I heard about what happened,” she said. “How’s Noah doing?”

                “He’s fine,” I replied giving her a black stare. “He’s healing.”

                “That’s great!” she replied.

                “Order for Zoe!” Alexis said placing Zoe’s drink on the counter. Taking her cup, Zoe held in between her hands, “Listen, I was wondering if we could talk.”

                “I’m kind of busy right now,” I told her looking around the shop.

                A look a pure disappointment clouded Zoe’s face and she bit her lip, nodding.

                I sighed and mentally smacked myself, I was being an utter bitch, pushing her away and being rude when she just wanted to talk. “But I get out in fifteen minutes,” I told her. “If you want, we can talk then.”

                Zoe nodded, a smile taking over her features. “Yeah, sure; I’ll wait over there.” She said nodding her head towards couch in the corner of the shop.

                I gave her a small smile before she turned on the heels of her booties and practically skipped towards the crème colored couch.

--

                Fifteen minutes later I sat next to Zoe, pulling my hair out of its tie and taking a sip from my frapp. I needed something to keep me awake, it was past midnight and I had been awake for a total of twenty-four hours.

                “So what did you want to talk about?” I asked her, turning around so my back was pressed up against the sofa armrest and my feet crossed pretzel style.