Chapter 3

Chapter 3

                In the seat beside me, Noah shifted so he could slide his phone out. The brightly lit screen filled the car with light, also reflecting off of his facial features. He typed away and set the phone on his lap every so often as he waited for whoever he was texting to reply. I turned on the radio and raised the volume just enough so it could be background music. Placing my hands at the bottom of the steering wheel, I leaned back in my seat and continued to drive.

                “So who’s this Ryan guy?” Noah asked.

                “Ryder,” I corrected, turning on the blinker and taking a right turn.

                “Whatever,” he replied. “Who is he?” he asked again.

                “Why?” I replied. Why do you want to know?

                “Just curious,”

                I didn’t reply, instead I made a left turn and was instantly greeted by intensely loud music coming from his house down at the end of the block. Outside of his house were dozens of cars, trucks, and bikes. Every light was on in his house, making the white two story home look grand and beautiful. Familiar people scattered his front yard, some making out, some laughing, some stumbling over their own two feet and drinking their youth away. Parking my car, I turned the engine off and glanced over at Noah who was looking up at the house with that blank expression that was constantly on his face.

                “Alright,” I began taking in a deep breath. “Here are the rules. Don’t bother m-.” I was cut off by Noah’s look of amusement, that stupid smirk plastered on that perfect face of his.

                “So this is your scene?” he asked.

                “Excuse me?”

                “This,” he said, nodding his head towards the out of control house party. “That’s your scene. Do your parent’s know about this? About you’re rebellious ways?”

                I snorted out a laugh, “Rebellious ways? Like they’re ever home to realize where I’m at,” I replied as I pushed open my door. “Listen, just don’t start any fights.” I told him glancing over my shoulder at him.

                Suddenly, the amused expression was replaced by a serious one. “And why would I do that?” he asked.

                “Because you’re Noah,” I replied. “You’re an idiot who’ll do anything to piss me off.”

                “True,” he smirked.

                Rolling my eyes I slid out of the car and patted my back pocket, making sure my phone was there before I slid my keys into my front pocket and stepped away from the car and onto the sidewalk. Noah followed, hands shoved in his front jean pockets, as he looked around with curiosity. We walked silently up to Ryder’s house, occasionally stepped aside once a couple of drunk teenagers would stumble onto our path.

                “I didn’t take you for this kind of girl,” Noah said once we walked past three houses.

                I looked over at him, pushing back a strand of curly hair that had flown onto my face due to the wind. “What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked.

                “You know,” Noah gestured. “Party girl by night, innocent daughter by day.” He smirked.

                Party girl? Innocent daughter? Who did this guy think I was? Sure I liked to party but I wasn’t huge on it. The only reason I ever showed up to one was because of the girls and Ryder.