Chapter 26

"Ugh, this line is so long." Liz—Excuse me, Allison—whines.

"You're starting to sound like Alix." I point out, and grin when Alix shoots me down with a glare.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me." I reply.

He scoffs but says nothing else, only nudges me with his shoulder.

"We're almost there, anyway. See?" I point out.

It's true. We've been in line for-freaking-ever, but eventually there are only a couple people in front of us. Before we'd left the hotel, I remembered what Harrison had told us... about how we could potentially get the answers we needed from simple folks native to Durango. When we reach the short guy at the entrance, he barely looks up. I wonder what he's actually here for. To stare down people as they walk through the doors? He's not all that intimidating. Plus, there's nothing to see...I hope. 

Alix made me leave the locket in the hotel room, which is probably a good idea, but it's been bothering me how there isn't the constant pressure of it against my neck. "Names?" The short man asks in a deep voice.

"Je—er—Kassandra Gilmour, Allison Grant, and Lucas Freemont." I say, biting my lip in hopes that my slip isn't too terribly obvious.

His eyes travel upward and look us over. My heart races. Does he normally take this long to check people at the front door? The longest ten seconds in my life pass, and then we're being waved in and I'm letting out a long sigh of relief.

The atmosphere automatically changes. The pub is a fairly large place, with hundreds and hundreds of people inside. It's at least ten degrees warmer in here than outside, but that's no doubt because of all the body heat that's being created. I can already feel beads of sweat starting to form on the back of my neck.

Alix—Lucas—is practically bouncing on the balls of his feet. Liz is already long gone, probably dancing with some stranger.

I place a hand on Alix's arm, causing him to turn towards me.

"Remember, Lucas, we're not here to go crazy, we're— "

"WHAT?" He yells the question back at me, though we're only a few feet apart. I sigh. So much for trying to be inconspicuous. But I shouldn't talk so quietly, because after all, the music is turned up so high I'm surprised my eardrums haven't exploded yet. Okay... I'll try a different approach. I stand on my tiptoes and shout into his ear. "I said that we're here for answers, not to go crazy. Capisce?!"

Some other people look at us strangely, but I couldn't care less. If they came not expecting this, then they can just leave.

I see him nod slightly, before disappearing into the crowd. Then I'm alone again. Being alone is one thing, but being alone in a very claustrophobic crowd of people is something else. I push my way through small groups of people, trying my best not to be the usual Jessica. I have to be Kassandra Gilmour, not Jess. I'm dressed the part, and now I have to play the part. I bump into a couple dancing on the outskirts of the dancefloor and I barely stop myself from apologizing. They shoot me twin glares, and I do my best to glare right back.

I finally find a clearing near the corner of the room, though it's not much better than where I was. I must be as out of place as I look, because right as I'm arguing with myself as to whether or not I should go tap someone's shoulder, someone taps mine.

I don't know who I expect, but it certainly isn't the person I get. There is a guy standing beside me, tangled blond hair swooping across his forehead. His arms are crossed in front of a muscular chest, and I can tell just by looking at him that he's one of those people who thinks he's 'all that.' I try and look disgusted by his appearance, but I also need to get on his good side for long enough to ask some questions.