Chapter 4

In the office, I slam the phone down for the fiftieth time. Why won't my parents just pick up?

After the scene in the bathroom, I manage to convince the nurse that I'm feeling like crap and need to go home. It's kind of amusing how gullible teachers can be. But that's okay. After today, all I want to do is go home and crawl under my blankets until the grand opening of the new movie theater later tonight.

Movies are my favorite pastime. Some days, I would rush to get my homework done so that I could sit down and watch a new movie with a bag of popcorn and a blanket. Sometimes Jax would accompany me when I was especially bored. He won't ever come again. I'll make sure of that.

So why isn't my mom picking up the phone? I recall her telling me this morning, "See you after school, honey." I know that my mom promised to be home today. She knows how much I'd been looking forward to this. She wouldn't just disappear on me, would she? I would never forgive her if she did. I sigh and rub my eyes. I guess I'm walking home. One of the perks of living behind the school.

I walk to my locker, rubbing my temples. Something about the atmosphere right now rubs me the wrong way. There's no way Jax could be into Bayley. She's not his type.

I'm the only one in the hallways because everyone else is in class, or should be in class anyway. I can practically smell the evil when she turns the corner. If it isn't Laila Thompson and her puppets: Olivia and Hayley. What are they doing out of class? I don't even want to know. But this means trouble.

As soon as Laila spots me, she smirks, leans in to Hayley and Olivia, and whispers something. They all burst out laughing. I narrow my eyes. The thing with Laila: she knows she's the mean girl. But she's never cared. She's the narcissistic cheerleader in all the modern-day movies. Except that she isn't a cheerleader. In fact, the other day she mentioned how the flyer on the squad needed to get a tan and a haircut.  I know that like, "deep inside she has a heart" or whatever, but even if she does have a heart, she doesn't use it.

I pretend not to notice them as I spin the dial on my locker. I'm not doing a good job though, because I turn it right past the third number. I sigh and start over, hoping that Laila and her "Plastics" will just leave me alone today. I should know by now that my wishes aren't exactly reality's command at the moment.

"Hey, Jessie! We were just talking about how lonely you look. Maybe you need a friend? I'm sure Ivonne's taking applications." Laila says, before bursting into a fit of giggles, her two minions following suit.

I want to bang my head against the locker multiple times in a row. I almost do. She knows I hate it when anyone calls me Jessie. Inside, I feel terrible for Ivonne. Besides me, she's the only one Laila bothers constantly.

Ivonne is the traditional school outcast. She has poofy bright blue hair that must be difficult to manage. I honestly admire her for not caring so much about her looks and what other people think of her. She has a couple piercings in various places, and she certainly isn't afraid of Laila, which I also marvel at. Though she's not the skinniest, and I'm pretty sure "All About That Bass" is her theme song, she's not that terrible a person.

Nevertheless, I have to admit that my friendship status isn't the greatest today.

"At least she has more real friends than you do." I say, and turn my eyes back to my lock. I will get out of here before the bell rings if it kills me.

"Oh, don't be rude, Jessie." She says, trying to seem innocent, though there is something darker behind those brilliant green eyes, as if they're saying, don't test me.

"Of course." I say, a bitter edge to my tone. My lock clicks and opens. And thank God, because I don't know how much longer I can stand them watching me like I'm the next Harry Styles. I gather up my stuff as quick as I can, but when I turn around again, it pains me to see that they haven't moved an inch. Hayley has her hands on her perfectly curved hips and is watching me with a tight smile. Olivia is standing off to the side, arms crossed. Laila stands a couple feet in front of me with a smoothie in her left hand. 

I want to tell them to stare at something worth their while, but I know it just isn't worth it. I sling my backpack strap over my shoulder and shut my locker. Maybe if I just walk away...

I shouldn't have taken my eyes off her. Pink liquid suddenly covers my shirt, soaking me with the stickiness of her smoothie. I think some of it gets into my already frizzed up hair. I really do hate her. I never knew that one small grudge could cause such demonic actions. She actually had the nerve to spill her drink on me. Even Laila doesn't normally stoop that low.  I slowly look up, my hazel eyes narrowing when I see a grin forming on her face.

"Oops," she says innocently, and then in one swift motion, turns and saunters away, Hayley following like a trained puppy. It is only Olivia who stays a little behind. Not for long though. She only shoots me a sympathetic glance before rejoining the clique.

I sigh, and wipe my smoothie covered hands on my jeans. Just go home, Jess. You have a movie to look forward to, remember? With that, I stroll down the halls, sneak past the office, and step out of the school. I don't look back. If I'm lucky, this is all just a crazy, super vivid nightmare.

How long will it be before Jess breaks? What will happen if she does? Check in tomorrow for Chapter 5! If you're still here, thank you so much!