“Friday what?”

Jason hesitated to answer me. I punched him. “Ow! It’s the eighth, stop hitting me! Now that Spencer trained you, you know how to hit and it hurts!”

“You asshole! You went to see him without me on his fucking birthday? You realize that today will probably be worse than ever right?”

“I’m trying to protect you!” He shouted.

“I’m not a little kid Jason! You can’t protect me from someone I love! You’re not dad, you can’t stop me from seeing him and I’ll be damned if you stop me right now.” I said, walking into my closet and pulling out a pair of skinny jeans.

“You’re only going to hurt yourself and get him more pissed off that the world.”

“Jason, I have to make it right. I have to let him know that I’m safer with him than without him.”

“Jesus Christ, am I speaking in fucking Japanese or something? Why doesn’t anyone ever listen to me? Besides, what are you going to do? Bring him a fucking cupcake and sing him happy birthday?”

“No one listens to you because you’re fucking annoying! Now as for the cupcake, maybe I fucking will!”

“No! I’m not letting you go.”

“I’ll change right here if you don’t get out!”

“You wouldn’t.”

“Oh I would. You know I have no shame. Now get out!”

“I won’t let you out of this house.” He grumbled, marching out of my room.

I rolled my eyes and quickly changed, pulling on a tank top and a cardigan and grabbing a pair of flat ankle boots. I quickly grabbed my things and ran down the stairs, making my way for the key ring and grabbing my car keys.

“Where are you going?” My dad asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Are you kidding me?” I shouted at Jason who had a smug look on his face.

“No I’m not, you’re not going out. You haven’t even been downstairs before now.” My father said sternly.

I rolled my eyes. “Well I came down; I don’t see what the big deal is.”

“The big deal is that I’m worried about you! We both are.” My dad said.

“Seriously, you’re not being yourself.” Jason said, a whine in his voice.

“In case you haven’t noticed, I’ve been through some serious things the past two weeks; some things that I can’t even begin to explain. So I’m sorry that my behavior hasn’t been the same as before. But right now I really have to go out and whether you like it or not I will be going out.” I snapped.

“Kelsey I-“

“No! I’m done trying to pretend like nothing’s wrong when everything in my life is wrong!” I shouted before I turned back to the door.

“I get that you’re in a tough spot, we all are! But I miss my little girl.” My dad said.

“Well dad, your little girl has grown up.” I snapped.

“We used to do everything together, kiddo. What happened? You’re not going to help me out with this whole restaurant thing?”

“Dad, now is not the time.”

“Then when will it be?” He asked. “Because last time I checked, you’re graduating in May and leaving for college in the fall. If I don’t try and fix our relationship now, when will I have the chance?”