Chapter 24

“Kelsey, you’re going to have to get out of bed sooner or later.” Jason said, stepping into my room.

I glared at him and saw that my phone said it was four-thirty. “I’m taking a nap.”

“I talked to dad and he said you haven’t been downstairs yet. He’s worried about you.”

“Tell him I’m fine.”

“No, you tell him yourself.”

“Jason, I’m having a hard time coping with everything right now so I’m gonna need some time, okay?” I snapped.

“It’s been a week! All you do is go to school and lock yourself in your room; and when you don’t have school you just spend the day in your room! Aren’t you supposed to be in school now?” He asked.

“Nope, it’s four-thirty genius.”

“Well your car has been in the driveway all day.”

“I decided to start my weekend early.” I shrugged.

I heard him sigh. “Kels, you’re killing me.”

I eyed his clothes and sat up. “Where were you?”

“I was out.” He said nonchalantly.

I narrowed my eyes. “Where?”

“With a friend.”

“You were with Spencer weren’t you?”

“Kelsey, I-“

“Weren’t you?”

“It’s been a week and I haven’t heard from him!”

“Join the club.” I said, flopping back down on my bed.

“Look, he’s in a tough spot right now, okay?”

“Oh and I’m not?”

“It’s different Kelsey! He killed two people! It changes you. Besides, he had to let you go to protect you and he’s all alone. I’m all he has.”

“He would have me too if he didn’t decide to be a dick about it. I’m not some little kid; I can take care of myself.”

“Yeah and look how well that ended. You got kidnapped and he had to kill people for you.”

I sat up and narrowed my eyes at my brother. “Don’t make it sound like it’s my fault.”

“I’m not! All I’m saying is that we all made mistakes.”

I opened my mouth to say something but then shut it again. “Did you say he killed two people?”

Jason sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. “How do you think he got out of the gang business in the first place? He told you that’s how it worked; he had to kill his boss. He gained the boys’ respect and they said as long as he didn’t fuck with anyone else, they’d leave him alone.”

I nodded my head and brought my legs up to my chest. “How is he?”

Jason sighed and sat on the foot of my bed. “He’s cold, reclusive, pissed at the world, and constantly drinking. I got to his house at around one and he was already holding a beer.”

I pursed my lips. “I have to try and help him.”

“Kelsey, you have to stay away from him!” Jason protested.

I looked at my clock and racked my brain for the date. “Did you say today was Friday.”

“Yeah,” He trailed off, looking at me suspiciously. “Why?”