-Chapter Four~

Rain tickled Silver's back as she walked along the beach. Dark, angry clouds cried above her as they crowded the skies. A blurred moon shone on the ground, making the earth barely visible.

As Silver searched for shelter, the storm became stronger. Winds blew through the trees and made miniature cyclones of leaves and dirt near the ground. Silver struggled to dodge incoming detached branches.

Thunder boomed in the distance and lightning arced the sky. Strong gusts of wind nearly knocked Silver off her feet. She pushed through the storm, forgetting that shelter was her main priority.

The storm and dodging its forces was Silver's main concern. Lightning struck a nearby tree and began to fall. Silver looked up as its shadow covered her.

She jumped, desperately trying to dodge the falling tower. The tree landed on her back right leg, breaking it with a simple twist.

Silver yelped as her thin leg began to bleed. Tears immediately took place on her cheeks as she pulled to get her broken leg free. It didn't budge, only bled more.

Struggling, Silver lifted her muzzle to the dark sky and howled a painful tune. She howled for help until her voice went hoarse. She continued to pull, feeling her leg breaking even more. Silver yelped as she stopped struggling, deciding to wait until the storm passed.

Silver's howl sounded across Tynder, yet no wolf heard it over the storm except for Echo. He was resting in his pack's den, watching Alpha and the others sleep. He had been thinking about Silver, and the click they shared.

His ears perked up when the pitched howl reached them. Echo stood up, looking outside and through the storm. Before heading out to help, he scanned the pack for any witnesses. Everyone was asleep, so he took the opportunity and bolted towards the shrill cry.

The howl came again, more painful this time. Echo ran as fast as he could through the forest. The rain hit his face like tiny needles. He blinked rapidly as the water poked his eyes.

His lower legs were muddy by the time he reached the fallen tree.

" Hello?!"

His voice was carried away by the heavy winds. Silver heard him, and began struggling again.

" Help!!"

Echo ran to the call, finding Silver in a muddy hole where she was struggling. Tears filled her eyes, and blood puddled around her lower body. She looked up at him weakly and breathed heavily before passing out.

Echo acted quickly and tried pushing the tree aside with his head, but failed. He then went to the other side and grabbed a branch with his teeth, pulling as hard as he could.

The heavy tree didn't move. By now, the storm was dying down. Echo breathed heavily as he returned to Silver, thinking of another plan.

He gasped with epiphany as he started scratching at the wood that crushed Silver's leg. The tree, surprisingly thin, caved in from his pressure. Her leg was free, yet crushed and definitely unusable.

Echo gasped and grabbed Silver by her scruff, placing her unconscious self on his back. Blood continued to drip from her exposed broken bone.

By now, the storm stopped. Echo carried Silver to another broken tree that seemed to create a den with its hollowed trunk. He placed her down, and nudged her awake.

" Silver... Silver, wake up."

She opened her eyes slowly. Moans escaped her mouth as she looked up at him weakly, confusion overwhelming her mind. She tried standing, forgetting about her broken leg.

Silver yelped when she moved it. Echo nuzzled her back down on her side.

" Silver... Stay off your leg."

" How do you know my name?"

" I overheard you tell Alpha your name after he called you Lonely Scum."

Silver looked at him as she tried to remember Alpha.

" Wait... Echo?"

Echo looked at her with surprise, not expecting her to know his name.

" And... how do you know my name?"

" I heard Alpha call you Echo back at the pond, when The Tynders caught a cow."

Echo nodded once before turning to leave. Silver lifted herself as much as she could.

" Wait! I mean... my leg... it's broken. I won't survive on my own."

Echo looked outside as an orange glow came over the horizon.

" I must get home, Silver. Alpha will punish me for running away."

" But... you didn't run away. You were saving me."

" Indeed, but I was saving someone who isn't in the pack."

Silver looked down as she saw his problem.

" Please... I need assistance. Help me, Echo."

Echo thought of the pros and cons as he thought. Silver sniffled behind him. He turned around.

" Stay here. I'll bring you food every morning and night. If Alpha finds you, he will kill you. Especially with those eyes of yours."

Silver looked up at him, remembering her eyes caused all her pain.

" My eyes... do you know anything about them?"

" Just know that your eyes are more than what you think."

Silver looked at him with wonder and confusion.

" But... how do you...?"

Before she could finish, Echo lifted his paw and moved an ear tuft, revealing a silver inner. Silver gasped, realizing that Echo is just like her.

" You have Silver too?"

Echo nodded, regretting his decision in revealing to her already.

" You can't tell anyone. Alpha doesn't even know, and he would kill me if he found out."

Silver knew how he felt, and agreed immediately. With that, Echo took a deep breath and left without another word. He ran back to the Tynders before daybreak, leaving Silver licking her own wounds through utter shock and confusion.