-Chapter Three-

The moonlight glistened through the towering trees, casting shadows among the shore of the lake. Silver was in her den, cleaning herself from another lonely day.

Her ears twitched as the moonlit water splashed outside. Silver ignored it until giggling was heard. She jerked her head up and peered outside, searching for the source of the giggles.

Two wolf pups came into view, splashing and kicking water in each other's faces. Their grey fur was soaked. The pups were alone. Silver guessed that they had wandered from their pack.

Should I return them? Their parents are probably worried sick.

Silver hesitated before stepping out of her den. She walked up to the edge of the water and lowered her head to sniff.

Both males.

Silver looked down the shore on either side of her to see if the parents were searching. When she saw no one, her gaze met the two pups, who had noticed her.

They stood frozen in the water from fear. One of the pup's eyes darted from Silver to his brother. Being pups, they were ignorant of many things, including Silver's eyes.

Silver inhaled heavily as she thought of what to say.

" It's okay, Little Ones. I'm here to help."

The pups made no attempt to move or even take a step. They kept their eyes on Silver, remembering their parents rule of no talking to wolves outside the pack.

When the pups didn't respond, Silver took a step into the water. The pups watched her every move, ready to bolt away if needed.

" Where are your parents? Are you lost?"

One pup looked over Silver's shoulder. Silver followed his eyes and turned to find a large wolf pack standing around her den, watching the whole scene.

Fear gripped Silver's chest as her breath caught. She gulped loudly and turned around, tucking her tail between her legs. She didn't know why she was cowering, this was her territory after all. Her very, small territory.

The Alphas stepped out from the crowd of wolves. The pups ran to the alpha female.

" Mommy!"

She nuzzled them before they took a place in the pack. The Alpha male, with eyes full of fire and erect ears, stood taller than any other wolf present. Silver tried her best not to make eye contact, knowing that her eyes would push them away.

The Alpha growled as he walked up to Silver, towering over her small size. Silver continued to keep her eyes off of his, fearing the worst. The Alpha snarled.

" Look at me!"

Silver reluctantly obeyed. She recognized the Alpha from the pack in the pond, where she had scavenged the leftovers. Her eyes met his, and the pack all covered their eyes after seeing Silver's. The Alpha looked into Silver's eyes, and even though they were strange to him, he refused to look away.

" Why were you near my sons?"

Silver looked into his eyes. Her body shook in fear.