Ace of Clubs Ch. 1

Start from the beginning

"What do you know about our lawyer?" I asked finally drawing myself away from my reminiscing.

"He's a newbie. Loves the law but doesn't know how to use it. He won a couple of important cases way back and that helped him shove himself into a good position as a company lawyer. He works for the same company his father runs and he gets a nice salary," he reported.

"Family?" I questioned and he nodded.

"A little girl. I talked to her when her dad was out working on a case. She's pretty adorable," he replied and I sighed. I hated messing up kids lives.

"Is there any chance that she's..." I trailed off but he got the point and shook his head.

"There wasn't any trace of them on her."

"What I do for people...any enemies?"

"Only one. A former buddy from college that stole away his wife. Shocked the poor guy out of his pants and he won the lawsuit to keep his daughter. It appears that the woman got the short end of the stick. He turned into a beater," He informed me and I frowned. I didn't like that type of men at all. They were absolute creeps.

"Will she ever be able to get away?" I asked and he shook his head.

"The man's like a watchdog. When I went to go check her out, he came out of nowhere and started mouthing off to me about no good men on his property," he stated but I could hear the remorse in his voice. We both wanted to do something.

"Would she be able to come forward in court?" I hoped but he dashed it.

"Not unless the she died," he responded and I scowled at the table. Even if she had cheated on her husband it wasn't right that she should have to be beaten for it.

"I want to help her," I announced and he stared at me.

"You do and you'll be risking everything for it. Do you, our queen, really want to do that?" He said softly and I slumped further down into my chair.

"No but...isn't there some way to help?" I begged him for some sliver of compassion and he looked at me for a long moment.

"There are a couple of things. I'll do them later on tonight when Kyle brings in his Six of Clubs. If that's what you want," he added cautiously.

"Yes," I answered simply and nodded. To get both of our minds off of the upcoming meeting we both started talking about the mission ahead. How we were going to tell our target what he was. How we were going to prove it and how we had to get him away from society without him knowing. It was a big job with him being a lawyer but we'd be able to pull it off. We'd done it a couple of times before with a Two and a Three. Oddly enough, they had been the easiest to find and now they ran the hotel and tried out their powers with each other in their spare time. One big happy family. Everyone seemed to be coping well and everyone had been found up to the Sixes. Which is what Kyle, Mr. Withers, and my team were on, finding the Six of each Suit. After our lovely talk we decided to leave for the hotel.

We arrived in the nick of time with a ton of people running around and showing off their powers to their new found colleagues.

"Stop," I said in every mind that was there and they obeyed me immediately. One of the rules that had been established was that no one was allowed to talk in someone else's mind except for me.

"What's going on here?" I voiced and the Numbers fell into lines according to ranks and suits. It seems Nil had been at them again.

"We were practicing our powers," one of them spoke up after a second of silence and I glared at the speaker.