Chapter Fifteen

{Chapter Fifteen}

"Leviathan Newark! Why are you still in bed? You're already going to be late for school as it is, you don't want to be any later." That's what I wake up to this morning, my mom yelling at me and shaking me violently as if that's going to urge me to get up.

I don't bother telling her that I'm skipping today because she's going to nag me for sure. Not to mention she'd ask a hundred questions about why I'm skipping, and I can't exactly tell her the truth.

So when she leaves my room and after I turn on my radio, playing probably one of the sappiest break up songs ever made- Apologize by OneRepublic. I realize I can't skip today. Today is of course the last day of the project so I have to slap on a fake smile, hand in everything, and give my presentation.

It makes me groan heavily but prompts me to get out of bed anyway. I reluctantly change into a fresh pair of clothes, fix my disheveled hair, and ignore the deep black bruises under my eyes from the lack of sleep I got last night.

This is probably the worst day that I have to give my presentation. Scratch that, this is the worst day to give my presentation.

I decide to go with my original plan of skipping school but instead I just skip first period so I can take a proper shower. I remove my clothes once more, tossing them in the hamper even though they're clearly not dirty, and get into the shower, not bothering to glance at the mirror because I'm sure I look like a mess.

The steaming water cascades down my back and burns my skin along the way but it's a welcome distraction from my thoughts. Thoughts that have been stuck on Ian since last night when he kicked me out of his house and slapped me, or rather the other way around. Even now I can hear his harsh words, feel the sting of his hand slapping me. The feel of his surprisingly strong arms pushing me into his door.

Though those memories hurt ten times less than the memory of his body lying with me, sleeping peacefully. His gray eyes looking at me with love.

Because it's those memories, the good ones, that kept me up all night while I wished over and over that I didn't say anything to him.

I sigh heavily, cupping water in my hand to splash against my face. I finally get out of the now lukewarm shower, shutting off the water then wrapping a towel around my waist. I leave the bathroom and retrieve a pair of black jeans and a white t-shirt from my closet. I put the clothes on and slip on a pair of black boots before I grab my things to leave the house.

I slide into my car, plugging my phone in so I can continue listening to Apologize on a loop despite the fact that the song is so overplayed, not to mention it's not exactly my type of music. I don't mind though, because although I know every single lyric and can rehearse it by memory merely because of how much it's been played on the radio, it's the only song in my phone that won't make my mood worse.

I drive through the nearly deserted town, deserted because it's already half past eight and everyone is either in school or work. It's nice though since I don't have to wait so long for lights to change or cars to cross at stop signs. I get to the school in good time, which I guess is a good thing, though what isn't good is the fact that since I missed first period there aren't any good parking spots. So I'm forced to park in the back so far that it'll take a good ten minutes just to walk to the main school building and another five to grab my stuff then go to my next class before the bell rings.

When I finally get into the main building, apologizing quickly to the security guard's disapproving glare as I slip through the front doors right as the bell rings that signals first period is over. I make it to my locker before slumping against it and sighing heavily. I stay like that for a minute before finally turning and taking what I need for my next class out of it and trudging to said class.