Chapter Eight

{Chapter Eight}

By the time I get home after talking a bit more with Ian, it had begun to rain. So when I come into the house, soaking wet, shivering, and yet somehow still reeling from the past hour or so, it isn't a surprise that my mom comes to interrogate me. While I take my jacket, heavy with the fresh rain, my mom makes her way over to me with an unreadable expression.

"How was your date?" I blink in confusion, panic rushing through me so fast it makes my heart skip a beat.

"Date? It wasn't a date," I add quickly, only now realizing how defensive that sounded. She arches a perfectly sculpted brow in a silent question, staring at me for the longest time, as if reading my inner most thoughts.

"I know that. How was the outing? Is that any better?" She corrects in amusement, seeming to make a joke out of it. I blink in confusion, remembering how not three hours ago she was interrogating me about leaving the house, now all of a sudden she's joking with me? I furrow my brows, taking a step back to assess my mom, making sure it's her. When I confirm this is indeed my mom I decide to wave her mood swings off as being her time of the month, that would explain a lot.

"It was good, Mom. But I have to get to bed now. Um, goodnight." I mumble, nearly saying 'goodbye' rather than the simple goodnight. How awkward that would have been. I shake my head and go up to my room, locking my door out of sheer habit.

I discard my clothes until I'm left in nothing but my boxers. I yawn and turn my light off after plugging my phone in and starting my music. I maneuver through my darkened room, slowly adjusting to the darkness while I get comfortable between my large comforter and sheets. I close my eyes, willing myself to think of Ian, just Ian, while I slip into sleep's coaxing arms.

~ ~ ~

"I'm on the highway to hell! On the highway to hell, highway to hell!" I groan and pick up my phone to shut my music off, not wanting to deal with school. I don't mind it but I didn't exactly get much sleep last night. Plus I don't want to go into my mom's work today, I don't want to see Jer. Or rather, I don't want to break my resolve of getting over him. Though, of course I can't just avoid him.

What am I supposed to tell my mom if I did that? *I'm sorry, Ma, I just don't want to be around your boss because I've started to crush on him and I know it would never work out. You know, the usual. So how about dinner?

I roll my eyes at my thoughts and focus instead on continuing to get ready for school. I pull on a gray shirt and black jeans, slipping on my beat up Vans. I run my fingers through my hair quickly before gathering my things and leaving my room. I grab a granola bar from the kitchen and leave the house quickly.

I lock the front door behind me and slide in my car, pulling out of the driveway once I put my music on. I get to school within a few minutes and park, checking my phone because I know I got a message when I was driving.

From: Ian

Hey... did that sound weird? wait, maybe I should have said hi or hello. Or good morning. Is it a good morning? Oh never mind, ignore me...

I laugh at that and shake my head, loving Ian's rambling.

To: Ian

hahaha, you're fine. My morning is good so far, especially since I got to hear from you :)

I reply before getting out of my car and heading into the school. I get to my locker and after I put my stuff away I look around for Lydia. I don't see her and my phone vibrates in my pocket so I shrug and lean against my locker in wait of her. I pull my phone out and smile when I see a new message from Ian.