Chapter 33

Those stupid bitches! I thought to myself. They couldn't be serious. They were ignoring me...on purpose! I couldn't believe they'd be so cruel and backstab me that way. We'd been friends for most of our lives and never have I felt so betrayed. How dare they accuse me of doing drugs and acting crazy, of all things! Since when did friends make assumptions about you before actually asking you?

Ryan, come get me right now! I texted, exiting the bathroom stall and tossing my handbag into the sink. You know, I expected this from Jessica and maybe even Haley, but Cassie?! She was going to pay for this!

I glared at my reflection in the mirror, noticing my disheveled hair and sloppy makeup. They did have a point, I thought pouting at myself in the mirror. I don't know that I'd ever looked like such a mess in public before. My mascara and eyeliner had formed a darkness beneath my eyes, making me look unrested and sick. I washed my face quickly using the disgusting soap provided. It didn't do much to get the mascara off my lashes, but it helped enough that I could reapply my makeup and not look like a drug addict, which I was thankful for.

I'm sitting in the car Amber, where are you? Ryan texted back, just as I'd finished applying my lip gloss.

Heading out now, I replied, before running my fingers through my hair and straightening my clothes. I took one last glance at myself in the mirror, straightened my posture and left the ladies room before walking  out the doors into the parking lot. Ryan's silver Audi stood sleekly waiting for me at the curb. I climbed in quickly to escape the crisp cold air outside.   

"What's going on, Amber?" He asked, his hazel eyes glaring at me

"I want to know where you guys are going to lunch today, and you're going to take me," I told him, surprisingly boldly.

He was taken aback by this and then a brief look of confusion crossed his face. "What do you mean, where we're going? How do you not know?"

I tilted my head and looked at him, trying to determine if he legitimately didn't know or if he was just playing stupid.

"What, Amber?" he asked, seemingly annoyed.

"Just drive, Ryan!  Go wherever we're supposed to be meeting everyone for lunch," I yelled at him.  "You just keep freaking sitting here and lunch will be over."

My words annoyed him and he put the car into park.  He shifted his body in his seat to face me.

"Amber, this little temper tantrum, whiny brat attitude needs to stop.  You're just embarrassing yourself and embarrassing me.  I'm not sure what you're expecting to gain by all of this."

"Oh, I'm sorry Ryan, I forgot...it's totally normal to kill a guy and go about life like nothing ever happened!  Silly me for feeling guilty over it. You're such an asshole."

"Ahhh, and the evil troll wields its ugly head again. So glad to have you here with us today," he retorted. "You've obviously been crying, so why don't you tell me what your problem is?"

"I wasn't crying, I had something in my eye and I couldn't get it out and they got a little watery. Now stop with the stupid crap and drive.  I'm hungry and I need to take care of some things."

Ryan rolled his eyes at me and his jaw tightened angrily.  

"You need to promise me that you aren't going to say or do anything stupid."

"Excuse me?"

"Amber, I'm fucking serious.  I will not put up with it. If you do anything."

"You're not my freaking dad, Ryan.  Stop scolding me and just drive your car."

"Oh, I have an idea!  How about you just start driving yourself? Or are you still too scared?"

"Really, Ryan? Is that how we're going to do this?"

"Why don't you just get out?"

"Why don't you just make me?"

"Fine," Ryan replied matter-of-factly, before reaching across my seat and opening the door.  Before I could brace myself, I felt a hard shove and found myself on the curb.

It took me a moment to gather my thoughts before the rage set in. Did he really just push me out of the car?! Was he serious?!

I stared at him stunned, as he reached for the door and pulled it closed. This infuriated me and I kicked at the door as hard as I could, denting it.

Ryan jumped out and stormed around the side of the car and slapped me hard across the face.  My face stung. 

I tried to swing back and smack him but he caught my arm and held it firmly.  This made me even more upset so I tried kicking him in the groin and missed again.  Then I started swinging wildly, punching and slapping him.  I don't know if he was fighting back or just trying to defend himself, but I couldn't make myself stop. 

"Amber, stop!" I heard him say, somewhere off in the distance.  "Amber, don't! Stop it! Babe!"

Suddenly he had his arms around me tight and I could barely move. The fight in me was gone and the tears had begun to silently fall. I felt myself relax in his arms and fall to the ground, weak and exhausted.

It was then that I noticed the crowd that had gathered around as everyone was returning from lunch.  Their gaping mouths and wide eyes staring and others just looking at me in disgust. There was one face that stood out from all the others...it was Cassie. Our eyes met for a moment before she turned away whispering to Haley and walked into the building.  

The principal and school social worker eventually came out, calmly trying to gather the students and get everyone back to class.  The crowd eventually dispersed and it was only Ryan and I leaning against his car, arms still wrapped protectively around me.

I felt Ryan breathe deeply behind me and I closed my eyes in dismay.  This wasn't going to be good, I thought.