●•·ƬӇЄ ЄD0Ɲ SƐƇƬ0Ʀ·•● ~ Chapter Fifty-Eight

58 – heart of stone

After the rock had sent Fereshte away, Jango's unease increased. He fidgeted as Borak edged closer, the display on the wall soon dominated by the rock's grey terrain. Borak attached his body to its surface, which rippled with vibration creating a wavy pattern in the dust. Jango grabbed the central pews when they slid back again. He looked down when he heard the groaning sound of moving stone beneath. A set of steps now led down into a stone corridor, lit with an eerie orange glow.

"Be truthful with the rock and it will not harm you," Borak said. "Do not exaggerate or embellish the account of your last mission. Remember what we talked about, Jango." He could think of nothing else.

Jango had to tell this rock a secret truth about another of its kind. That rock had disabled Jango's entire cadre with its dust on his first secret mission. It would've petrified him too if he hadn't landed in the protective liquid of a swamp.

It seemed so long ago now but he knew he had to recall every detail to keep this rock satisfied. He hadn't even told Ecad the full details of his mission but he knew it would demand everything.

He could not address the rock by its real name or even identify its species without its permission. No one could just walk up to them and presume to classify their nature or announce their true name without inviting trouble. Jango knew the ritual well. The anonymity of a simple address like 'rock' was all he needed. When they decided they were comfortable these beings would introduce themselves with a flourish. The witness had to feign surprise and awe that they were in the company of such a rock. It was not arrogance, merely their custom. This enormous boulder orbiting Edon was the deadliest and most powerful being in the universe. If he annoyed it, it would squish him. The fact that it was here at all was fantastic enough and it warmed Jango's heart.

He descended the steps and along the corridor to a small chamber containing a large stone chair.

"Be seated, Cherub," a voice rumbled. Jango sat down. The entrance to the chamber seemed to melt away. A wall of stone, which rippled like a pool before turning solid, appeared in its place.

What looked like a grey stone flower snaked above his head, before curving downward, its cup pausing over his curls.

Jango knew then that he would not need to talk and he could not lie if he tried: the rock was going to look into his mind for its answers.

Tiny motes of silver sprinkled his hair; moments later, they were drawn back into the stone petals.

"Tell the little shell not to interfere. If it does, this rock will turn it to stone and it will be stuck in your head forever."

Jango understood. It had detected his Lǽran. The rock needed to examine his memories and a Lǽran would not allow that. They were forbidden to access a Kaelestian's long-term memory – only what they'd implanted themselves – in case it included information the Bright One did not want to disseminate, but it had doubled its security since Picky had tried to mess with Jango's mind and could block any attempt the rock made to do the same.

"I want you to shut down, narrator," Jango said aloud, so the rock could hear him.

"I am not sure about this, Jango."

"Nevertheless that is an order. Tell the other Lǽrans you're doing this with my permission."

"Very well," said the Lǽran, a slight pique in its voice, and soon Jango's mind was empty.

"Well done, Cherub. This rock is pleased you are complying."

"Trust is a gateway to truth, so the Thrones say," Jango said.

"It is written – on the Scroll of Truth no less – and it is so. This will not hurt."

The stone cup slipped over his head, cold against his brow, and Jango started to recall the time he completed his top secret mission to collect a tear from Grimlick Giannus.

Please vote or comment if you like this chapter.

FP:)