Forty Five. Partners in Crime

Start from the beginning

"Hello, Sir," Aidan replied with quiet politeness.

I quickly sidestepped around my father and smiled up at Aidan. "Hi."

His tense smile turned into a warm one as he gazed down at me. "Hi."

"Hi....," I giggled, playing with my fingers. His smile widened.

"I'm still here."

My face heated up, and I turned around to glare at my father. "Dad."

"What?"

"We're going to go now," I tried to walk out as fast as I could, but it wasn't fast enough.

"Just one moment," Dad placed a hand on my shoulder, stopping me. "Can't I talk with Aidan here?"

"You talked," I replied impatiently. "You said hi, he said hi. I was there. I saw it. I was a witness. Bye now."

Again I tried to run out, but my dad was quicker.

"What?"

"Be home no later than eleven."

"Midnight," I proposed.

"Eleven," he said shortly.

"Eleven thirty...?"

He paused. "Eleven fifteen."

"Eleven twenty....five," I smiled sweetly.

"Eleven twenty is the highest I'll go."

"Sold," I kissed his cheek and waved, backing out. "Bye."

"Behave yourself, Demi," he warned me although he was staring straight at Aidan when he said it.

I rolled my eyes. "Mhmm, bye," I shut the door and turned to Aidan, smiling apologetically. "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry," he smiled, cupping my face in his hands. "It's not your fault your dad scares the crap out of me."

"I don't understand why on Earth you should be scared of him. He isn't going to actually do anything to you."

"He looks like he's ready to load a shotgun and aim it at me."

"He's just trying to intimidate you," I assured him, stepping closer. "Don't worry, he'll ease up eventually."

"What's eventually?"

"A month....or two...," I paused. "Possibly six."

"I feel very reassured," he laughed before placing a soft kiss on my lips. "You look beautiful."

"And you look very handsome," I examined him again, slipping my hands over his wrists. I smiled innocently, batting my eyelashes. "Visiting the movie theater type handsome to be exact."

"A movie on the first date?" He dropped his hands from my face and twined his fingers with my own, leading me to the driveway. "That's lame. I'm offended you'd think I'd go for something that simple."