Chapter 26

Running, when I thought I would never be able to run again, felt amazing. I mean, before, I would have settled for a meander. Maybe even a slow shamble. But running.

For the moment I could ignore the feeling of heaviness in my limbs, of the residual sickness that came with almost dying. I tripped and stumbled, holding the wall at times for support, but eventually through all the odd stares of passersby I found my way down the stairs and to a kitchen.

It was grand. Cherry wood lined all the cabinets and brown granite counter tops. Even the panoramic view from the windows was breath taking, showing the woods beyond and a few wolves playing in the distance. A center island held a stainless steel stovetop and a small bar. "World's Best Alpha" was written in childish scrawl across the side of a used white mug. I let myself smile at that. Further in, separated and sitting in the curve of a rounded window, was a small four seated dining table. Rustic, as was everything else in this gorgeous house, but what stood out was the blonde girl resting there, stuffing her face with brownies.

"Found you," I breathed, panting. I wasn't used to being so winded so quickly. Being in bed for weeks took its number on me.

She looked up, perhaps a tad guilty, and licked some of the crumbs from her fingers. "It took you long enough," She coughed with a mouth full of brownie. "Maybe you're sicker than I thought. Back to bed with you." She made a shooing motion with her hands, and went to take another bite.

"Can I at least have my pants back?" I sighed, feeling abnormally cold in such an expansive kitchen. The ornate tile froze my feet. Seeing the sun through the window told me it was maybe mid day, but that didn't make it any warmer.

"If you beg." She looked up at me with a cheesy smile, adorable dimples and all.

I laughed, "Only on Tuesdays."

Without a beat, "I'll take note of that."

I sat down at the table with her, looking at the brownies. With no further ado, my stomach roared.

"They're pot brownies. Well, I wish they were. Anyway they're for everyone, so have fun," She said through another mouthful, before grabbing one more.

I took one hesitantly, sniffing it, before biting into it. It tasted wonderful. "Too bad. Pot brownies would have explained why you took my pants – and your height." I paused, chewing. "You probably made that mug over there. What are you, 9?"

She looked offended, hand on her chest. "I'll have you know I turned ten yesterday! But no, really, that's Rio's favorite mug. He got it from a nephew."

"All of you must look up to him," I realized, shaking my head. I figured he might as well still be a stranger to me, for all I understood of him. Maybe I should give him a chance. "I didn't know he had siblings."

"Four of them, to be exact," A rumbling tenor sounded from the open entryway to the outdoors, startling me enough to jump. In all his glory stood a shirtless Riordan, zipping up pants that he had clearly just put on. "They're the reason I drink."

I laughed distractedly, feeling the hairs on the back of my neck rise as I stared at him. Goosebumps formed on my arms. He was...very, very attractive. I took this chance to look at his scars, in particular, and how they crisscrossed his torso like an intricate mural. They made him look dangerous.

"See something you like?" Danika's British voice chimed in, capturing my attention once more. She was tilting her head at me, looking at me knowingly. I had to swallow past the sudden embarrassment rising in me, bashfully looking away and taking another bite from my brownie square.