Chapter 13

His dad. Walked in. At the best moment he possibly could.

I stared up into Alex's eyes. Amazed that I had just done that. Sickened that a big part of me didn't mind. His gaze was clouded in irritation, lust, need, and something else I wasn't familiar with. I broke out of my trance and pushed at his chest. He got the hint and slowly backed off.

What had I just done?

I'd let him kiss me. I'd let him in for a split second, and I could already tell this was going to do more harm than good.

There was an electric buzz in the air that was palpable, and it was between us three. Suddenly this room felt cramped. Is this always how things went when a person of Alpha status walked into a room with two other very strong werewolves?

"So I take it, this is your mate, son?" Mr. Renzi spoke, a smile in his voice. I met eyes with him and then a sharp pang went through my whole body. Those were the eyes of the man I once considered family.

I waited for him to exclaim; "OH! Devil hath thee! Get out of thy house before I kick your ass out of it!"

But nothing came.

The old man didn't recognize me. And for some reason, that put a huge dent in my social complex.

Alex blushed a deep red. "Yes." He slung an arm across my shoulders. He made a disgruntled face when I shrugged it off and tried to stand. My head still hurt. I winced and tried to stop my world from spinning.

Mr. Renzi put a hand on me to steady me. The hairs on his arms raised and he took in a breath.

Shit. I'd forgotten that this was the same way he reacted to me back then. His wife died. So he was mateless. Which meant my little situation came into effect here.

Whatever he thought it was, he shook it off like a pro. He was probably disregarding it as something different, although I had no clue what you could pawn that off as.

We had a staring match. Wow. He looked even better in his old age. Shoulder-length blonde hair, a perpetual tan, light stubble on his strong jaw, and deep-set green eyes, just like his son. The exception was that this old version of Alex had lighter hair and wrinkles; worry lines, smile lines, and squinting lines. But that didn't mean he wasn't strong, and it didn't mean he was that old.

Alex coughed to break up the silence. Mr. Renzi retracted his arm just a bit too quickly and looked at his son. "Well, Introduce us!" He chuckled, "What is his name?"

"Aaron Scott, Meet Gabriel Renzi, Leader of the Renzi Pack, and my father."

"Nice to meet you," I muttered, looking away from the Alpha, as was protocol. When in the presence of an Alpha, never look into their eyes for too long, because it can be considered a challenge. Especially when you are a guest in their territory. Doing so would give them the right to give you a square beating and send you on your way. Not like I expected Gabriel to do that to me, after all. He'd only had to physically hurt me once, and that was when I wouldn't leave.

Remembering made me sour. I was a little shocked that he didn't recognize me. I mean, he'd fallen in love with me. I'd been his son's best friend. I almost destroyed his pack from the inside out. He'd had to chase me away because he couldn't bare to kill me. And in doing so, he'd had to give me a scar. A big, big scar that twinged as I thought about it. I reached over and touched my side. I guess I really had changed, but some of the old me was still there.

Another awkward silence.

Suddenly something occurred to me.

I turned my glare onto Alex, bristling at him. "Where is Jeremy? Did you leave him and that rogue at my house? If you did, I swear to god-"