•The Understudy•

Joe is the understudy for the supporting actor in a play,
Caspar plays the lead. Tonight is the final show.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joe's POV

Every night... Every night! For three weeks, I've watched from the wings as Troye and Caspar preform on stage in our schools yearly musical.

Our school is somewhat known for them and we've even had students transfer over just because of the creative arts program that our school offers. I have been cast as the understudy for Troye who is the supporting actor and playing the love interest of the lead, which is Caspar. 

I still have a small role as Troye's characters best friend James, but I want to be up there with Caspar for more reasons then one.

Obviously I think Troye does an amazing job and would never intentionally do anything to stop him from performing. It's just that it's our senior year and the two of us always seem to find ourselves battling for a lead role and this year is particularly important as scouts from universities are watching. As the best friend of the second lead I do not have a massive deal to show them, but I will work so hard to stand out.

There is that reason of course, but also the fact that there is a scene in the play right at the end where Caspar's character confesses his love to Troye's and kisses him and the play is over. I would do anything to act out that scene with Caspar. Though we have only ever spoken because of musicals and all those times our drama teacher has organised bonding weekends before the opening night of a show, we are actually quiet good friends. The three of us, which is why when we read the script we laughed about the final scene. And in practices and after shows. Well the other two boys were laughing for real. I could only think what would happen if it was me in Troye's shoes. Would Caspar still laugh?  Troye is the only person who I've ever confided in about my little (big) crush on Caspar. He offered to talk to the teacher and let me take some shows but I refused. As much as I wanted it, this was Troye's moment.

~~~

So it's the day before the final show. It's a Thursday and we are at school. Excused from all lessons to prepare. Us and all the other senior actors, dancers, musicians and lighting and tech crew alike all want to go out with a bang.

Though I know that we are already good friends, I offer to go get snacks from the lunch hall for Caspar, Troye and I. Just in the hopes that it makes Caspar think even better of me. I know it's stupid.

When I walk back in I see Troye and Caspar on stage doing a run through. I can't tell what scene it is but a put the snacks down and walk closer.

"Well... You see Matt, I really, really, really, really, really-"

"Wow slow down. Spit it out"

Oh god. I knew instantly what scene this was. I stood still as I watched Caspar hold Troye gently around the waist, hands softy on his lower back. Troye's on Caspar's chest. The kiss was a stage kiss, and I knew it was fake but it hurt. Which again it's stupid. Caspar wasn't mine. It was just acting.

Troye caught my eye as the lights came back up. His expression changing to a look of guilt. He walked off stage slowly and down to me.

"Hey...?" Troye asked. " it's just acting Joe, remember. You know who I like and that I ship Jaspar more then anyone on this planet."