Chapter 5: Ross!!!!

(Nessa's POV)
By the time we got back Ross was already in a secured room. Jess and I offered to take turns on watch outside the door to keep Ross in and Sky out. I decided to take day shift because Jess was quite tired. I was tired too and Nick offered to take first watch, but due to the looks I saw from Ak, Ghetto, and Shark, I figured it was a bad idea.

"I'm good Nick. I have gone longer without sleep."

"Are you sure I don't mind."

"Yeah, I'm sure. I'm used to it."

"Well if you get too tired let me know."

"Will do Nick."

The day dragged on and I nearly fell asleep twice. Jess came to relieve me of duty that night and I was grateful. I went to our room and flopped face down on the bed. I fell asleep quickly.
The next morning I woke to the smell of food coming from the kitchen. Shark was cooking again. I got up and went down the hall to the kitchen, Shark was alone.

"Morning, Nessa. Sleep well?"

"Like a rock. I was more tired than I thought."

"Yeah it happens."

"It definitely does," a voice came from behind me. It was Ak. He smiled at me softly and I smiled back.

"Morning, Ak. You hungry?"

"Would I be here if I wasn't, Shark?"

"True, very true."

We all laughed and I felt Ak put his arm around my waist and rest his hand on my hip. Shark took one look at us and went back to the stove as I looked at Ak.

"What is this?"

"You didn't complain two nights ago."

"You caught me off guard."

"Oh really?" He chuckled and turned to face me wrapping his other arm around me. He started to lean in to kiss me, when we heard Ghetto laugh.

"Nick do we have a camera?"

Ak let go of me and walked over to sit at the table.

"Way to ruin their moment Ghetto," Shark said as he made plates for people.

"Well I wouldn't have said something if they weren't standing between me and your cooking," Ghetto joked, sitting down. Shark handed him a plate of food as Nick walked in.

"Why do you need a camera Ghetto?"

"Don't worry about it Nick," I said as I walked past him patting his shoulder. I sat down next to Ak. He looked at me, repeating my earlier question.

"What is this?" There was a smirk on his face.

"Oh shut it, Ak."

Nick looked at me, then at Ak, "Did I miss something?"

Ak chuckled, "No, Nick. You didn't."

Ghetto looked at the door, "Where's Jess?"

"She is still on watch, I'll be switching off with her after breakfast," I looked at Ghetto before taking a bite of the food Shark made.

Nick look led at the door next, "What about Sky, Ghetto?"

"He was out like a light."

"I'll go get him up for the day," Nick said standing up.

I stood up as well, "I'll come with you, I have to speak with him anyways."
Nick nodded and we left down the hall to the room Sky slept in with Ghetto and a few others. Nick knocked on the door.

"Sky? Are you awake?"

We waited for a minute or so but he didn't respond.

"Sky?" I said through the door. "Sky talk to me."

We heard movement but still no response. Nick's voice sounded worried, "Sky we're coming in."

Nick opened the door and we saw Sky sitting on his bed facing away from us. He started to stand up, he was shaking slightly. I went past Nick into the room.

"Sky?" He started to turn his head and then collapsed to the floor.

"Sky!" Nick and I rushed to his side. He was unconscious and breathing heavily.

"It's like he's been bit, Nessa."

"That's impossible! Unless someone wasn't on their post last night, plus Ghetto would have heard it which means......."

"No that's impossible, Nessa. Jess was-"

"Stay with Sky," my voice sounded cold. "Actually get him to Jin. Quick Nick!"

Nick nodded and tried to lift him. The others had heard the commotion and came running. Nick filled them in as I stormed down the hallway towards that room.

"Jess!"

"Nessa? What is it?"

"Is Ross in there?"

"Yeah, he's been quiet though."

"I wanna talk to him."

She unlocked the door and opened it. I heard footsteps running through the hall. Nick's voice echoed, "Don't do anything to him, Nessa!"

I ignored him and went inside. I looked around but didn't see him.

"Where is he?!"

Jess and Nick walked in the room and we searched around. We found a trap door in the back corner. I was so enraged I ran to my room to grab my Katana. I head towards the main door when I feel someone grab my
my arm, causing me to stop and turn around. It was Ak, just looking at him made my anger turn into sorrow. I slowly relaxed my hand and my Katana clattered as it hit the ground. Tears flooded my eyes and I felt me knees go out from under me. Ak knelt down with me and hugged me tenderly.

"We will take care of Ross. Jin said Sky should be fine the others are going on a supply run to get stuff for Jin. Sky is gonna be ok, Nessa. We won't let Sky turn. Ok?"

All I could do was nod. The others were all geared up when they walked past us to head out. Nick stopped and looked at us.

"You coming Ak?"

I didn't look up but I felt Ak's grip on me tighten.

"I think I'm gonna sit this one out, Nick."

"Alright, Ak. Let's go guys."

I heard their footsteps fade away as they left. It felt like someone stabbed me in the chest with a rusty dagger. The tears continued to fall from my eyes and I felt Ak lightly brush his hand across each cheek, wiping away my tears.

"Can you stand?"

I nodded and he helped me up. I reached for my Katana but he beat me to it.

"Come on," he said, keeping one arm around me.

He led me to my room and sat my Katana on the chest of weapons Jess and I use and sits down on with me on my bed. After a few minutes he started to get up.

"Don't go...." my voice cracked.

"I'll be back, I'm just getting you some water."

I nodded reluctantly and he left. I laid down on the bed and hugged my knees. When Ak came back he sat the class of water down and laid down next to me. He pulled me closer and I turned over and cuddled with him. It was really comforting having Ak hold me. I was fighting to keep my eyes open and I heard him chuckle.

"Go to sleep, Ness. I'll be here when you wake up." I felt him kiss my forehead. I closed my eyes and felt myself drifting off. I welcomed sleep like an old friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1196 words