Chapter 2: Making Friends

(Nessa's POV)
The next day we buried Barney in the court yard. The man who tried to comfort Sky, who I learned his name was Nick, stepped up to say a few words, I didn't listen much to what he said. I was still upset that I knew who did that to him and I could have stopped him. I could've stopped Ross. He was right there on the lawn, and I let him slide. I couldn't have saved Barney, but I could have avenged him. But I let him go. I failed myself. I failed Barney. I failed-

"Nessa," Sky looked at me. He must've been trying to get my attention for quite awhile. "Do you want to say anything? It's fine if you don't, I understand compl-"

"I'm ok Sky honest." I stepped forward. "Barney, he was a good guy. Annoying at times, but good. I went out of contact with Barney and Sky about six years ago when I graduated from Med school and got a job studying under Dr. Jin. I honestly wanted to call, I wanted to tell Sky and Barney what I was doing everyday, but I was so...... busy. I'm still busy." I chuckled a little, then I became serious. "Barney, I am so sorry, I let Ross walk. I-I didn't know that he........" my voice started to break, Sky walked over to me and put his hand on my shoulder. This helped, and when I spoke my voice was stronger. "Barney I wish I could've saved you, but I couldn't. But, I swear to you, I swear, he will NOT go unpunished. I will find him and make him suffer for what he did to you."

I walked off to my room, that I was now sharing with the other girl, Jess, and I went into my weapons chest. I heard Sky and Nick arguing about whether or not to go after Ross now or later. I was with Sky, I didn't want to leave Ross walk free. I heard a knock at my door. I looked up to see Ak, one of the guys that restrained me.

"Hey, you aren't planning on going after Ross are you?" He looked at me, arms crossed.

"I am," I went back to my weapons chest.

He walked in the room and pushed me away slightly, closed the chest and sat on it.

"Your angry, I get it. We all are. And we all want to see Ross pay, but rushing in blindly, isn't the way."

"You sound like you experienced it."

"I was in the military."

"Higher ranking general I assume?"

"Yes and no."

"I don't- wait you were a G-" He covered my mouth and nodded.

"I was." He let go.

"I take it you haven't told anyone?"

He shook his head, "Not yet."

"Why?"

"Some things are better left unsaid."

"Understandable. Everyone has secrets, and given the conditions of the world. I don't blame you, Ak."

I don't know how he did it, but somehow Ak convinced me to stay in the White House and not go after Ross. And as much as I hated him for it, I respected him as well. Not that many people can do that with me. Sky and I are both quite hot headed and tend to fly off the handle and make rash decisions. After a dinner of fighting with Ghetto over peaches which I won, I retired to my room to find Jess on the other bed sobbing, she hadn't been at dinner.

"Hey," I said smiling at her. She looked at me startled but when she saw who it was she relaxed and nodded. "How are ya holding up?"

"G-good I guess."

"You were close to Barney?"

She nodded again. I closed the door and walked over to her.

"May I?"

"Sure," she scooted over and I sat beside her.

"So, how long did you know him?"

"About a month, you?"

"Sky and I met him while we were in second grade."

"Wow, so the three of you were like family?"

"Yep, our parents were close too. They would all go away on weekends and the three of us would hang out."

"That young?"

"No, after we reached middle school. Oh, the parties we would have. Haha!"

Jess giggled, "Sounds like a lot of fun."

"Oh it was, we had tons of fun, till the accident."

"Accident?"

"9/11. Our parents were on the plane that crashed into the Pentagon."

"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry I shouldn't have-"

"It's ok Jess, I don't mind talking about it at all."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," I smiled at her and she smiled back. "After the accident we all got jobs and worked together to get a nice house. After high school I got accepted into the medical school here in DC. I worked and studied hard and graduated in four years, surprisingly getting my doctorates degree, it was about a month before I graduated that Dr. Jin found me and decided to take me under his wing. Its funny because we are only a month apart in age. He must've been quite smart as a kid...."

"He certainly seems like that."

"About 11 months later is when the apocalypse started, and we've been here the whole time."

"It's good you look out for each other."

"Try, I look out for him. Jin can't even hold a handgun properly."

We both laughed loud and hard. It had been so long since I laughed this much it felt good. Jess and I talked for half the night and I almost fell asleep on her bed twice. I could tell she was a good person and that the two of us would get along just fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
961 words