Chapter 13

“Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.”

-I Corinthians 13:6

The afternoon before their wedding night, Ruth decided she wanted to be pampered. Wanting the bridal experience she had not been able to give herself before, she spent three hours in the hotel spa getting a massage and then a body wrap followed by a manicure and a pedicure. Peaceful music and herbal smells surrounded her. It became the perfect prescription for complete relaxation.

As she signed her bill, the receptionist slipped her a note. “Someone dropped this off for your earlier, Miss DeVille.”

“Oh, who was it?” Ruth asked as she stared at the envelope suspiciously. Julien would not drop anything off for her here, and he was the only one that knew she was here.

“Some blond female in a dark suit. She did not leave her name. She said you would know who it was from.”

“Oh, I see.” Ruth replied. She cautiously picked up on the envelope and peeled open the back flap. She then slipped the crisp card from within.

Remember - should you need a way out.

Ruth suppressed a gasp and instead smiled politely at the receptionist as she scanned the room for Agent Wolf. “Thank you.” She nodded.

She left the spa headed quickly back towards the suite as all the newly released tension crept back into her body. Her skin tingled as she felt watched but could find no eyes on her. Glancing around, she snuck through the lobby and onto the elevator.

Once inside the suite, she slammed the door, locked the deadbolt, and placed the chain. As she turned from the door, she found Julien watching her, eyes were filled with confusion.

“She knows we're here!” she squeaked.

“Calm down. Who are you talking about?” He approached her.

“Agent Wolf! She's found us!” Ruth shoved the note in his face.

She watched as he read it. “See?”

“No. How do you know it was her?” He replied.

“She left me the same note when I was in the hospital.”

He nodded. “Did you actually see her?”

“No. But the receptionist described her. It couldn't have been anyone else.”

“I see.”

“We should call this whole thing off. Let's just leave again and start over again somewhere else.”

“Come now Ruth, let's not rush things. Everything is already planned out by now and will go smoothly. She has no reason to confront us this time. We have not caused any trouble. If she had something, she would already be here knocking on the door.”

Just then there was a loud knock on the door. They both jumped and stepped away from the door.

“Room Service!” a voice came through the door.

Ruth sighed in relief. “That must be the wine we ordered.” As she stepped towards the door Julien intercepted her. Glanced through the peephole, he nodded and opened the door.

“Thank you.” She took the wine from the employee and closed the door.

Glancing at each other, they smiled before breaking into laughs. “Okay, maybe I am overreacting a bit,” Ruth said.