Chapter 6

“Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.”  

-Marcus Aurelius

Julien had thought to bring Ruth to many places. They could have returned to Saint-Malo or to Paris. The Grand Canyon in the southwest and the redwood forests of the northwest had come to mind. Even some of the lovely coastal towns of Alaska had been in consideration. He had been lucky in his existence to have seen many beautiful places on Earth. He also knew there were many he had not yet seen.

He had envisioned stealing her away to their own private island in a tropical climate or hiring a private boat and sailing to nowhere in particular, although that would have ended badly with the inevitable end of his next hunger strike. No, there was only one place that felt right to visit at this point.

He should had known that a place he had not been to in almost four centuries would not be as he remembered. At first, as they drove into the city of what was now Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, he found himself wondering if the wondrous falls had somehow been destroyed even though he knew that to be false. When he had previously encountered them, they were visible for miles and their sound was almost deafening. Now, all he saw in either direction were tall hotels, casinos, and restaurants. As they drew closer to the  hotel he had chosen as their home for the foreseeable future, however, he could hear the faint hint of the falls thunderous roar, and he felt some slight relief.

“Well, it is not so impressive from this vantage point, but just you wait until we can get up close,” he whispered as they checked into their room.

The woman at the desk smiled. “Once you see the view from your room, you may not even need to leave.” She winked as she handed them the keys. “It's the best in the city.”

“We are looking forward to it,” he replied as he led Ruth towards the elevator.

The concierge had not disappointed. As soon as they stepped into their suite, Ruth gravitated straight towards the full length windows. She gasped. “Oh my... Julien, it's incredible!”

He approached her and looked out the glass. The view was spectacular even with the tourists and multi-colored lights interfering. The falls had receded since his last visit, but being able to appreciate them from twenty stories above the ground was extraordinary and something he would have never dreamed possible so long ago. At that time he had no reason to consider what life would be like 400 years in the future.

“Last time I was here this was all sacred wilderness.” He waved a hand over the horizon.  “‘Betwixt the Lake Ontario and Erie, there is a vast and prodigious Cadence of Water which falls down after a surprising and astonishing manner, insomuch that the Universe does not afford it's parallel.’ Those were the words Father Hennepin who wrote the first eyewitness account of the falls. He is credited as the first non-Native to ever lay eyes on the falls. That was 1678.”

She looked up at him with narrow eyes, and he knew she was calculating in her mind’s eye. “But wait, you would have seen it before that, right?”

“That is correct. Decades before. But now I am beginning to feel old.” He stepped back from her. He was also beginning to sense the all too familiar reminder that had not fed in over two weeks now. It would not be long before he was forced to do so again. His eyes drifted to the scar on her left wrist.

She laughed. “Well, I think it lives up to its reputation, even in the dark.” Then she moved closer to him. “I've never been so far from home in my entire life.” She looked up at him.

“You asked for adventure...” He smile as he stepped away again wondering why she insisted on being so close. “Are you hungry, My Dear? I believe there is room service available, unless you would prefer a trip out?”