Chapter 8

“It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.”

- Siddhartha Buddha

Ruth was amazed at the well organized plan Julien put together in only a few short hours for their escape from Niagara Falls to Las Vegas. As soon as the sun moved passed the horizon, Julien went to his car and left the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked. It was only matter of time before someone with such inclinations would notice and steal the vehicle which would hopefully lead their trackers astray. Meanwhile, they took the back stairs out to meet a cab. As they stepped out into the night, however, a shadow approached them.

“Leaving so soon, Julien?” The shadow hissed.

They both jumped in surprise before whipping around towards the voice. Tawiskala was standing between them and their cab.

“Good evening, Teresa.” Julien hissed.

“Don’t ‘good evening’ me, Julien.” She smiled as a hand reached out to stroke Ruth’s neck. “I see you have tasted her again. Good boy.” She laughed.

“Do not touch her.” He pushed between Ruth and Tawiskala. “What do you want?”

“Oh nothing, just to remind you that my offer still stands. But apparently, you have everything you need here.” She smiled at Ruth. “Too bad. I would have enjoyed a taste. She smells wonderful.” She winked.

“Do not wait another four centuries to visit me again, Julien.” She laughed again. With that, Tawiskala disappeared back into the shadows.

Julien quickly ushered them towards the cab. He looked around the parking lot several times before crawling into the seat next to Ruth. His body tension was visible in his stiff movements and tight jaw.

“She misses you, Julien.” Ruth said.

“The feeling is not mutual.” He growled as he glanced out the rear window.

He handed her their new passports. She flipped them open. They were now Mr. and Mrs. Rene and Marie DeVille from New York City, NY.

They then drove towards the Toronto airport where they planned to take a Red Eye for Las Vegas. During the drive, Ruth noted Julien looking behind them whenever he thought she was not looking.

“You are making me nervous, Julien.” She whispered although she was have asleep.

“You can never be too careful. That is what has already gotten us tracked twice.” He replied.

She did not respond. Part of her felt it was a direct judgement on her stupidity for allowing them to be so easily found and for not telling him what she knew of Agent Wolfe. Another part of her knew that was ridiculous, but that part remained quiet now leaving her to stew in her regret.   

Finally, they arrived at the airport and checked through security. She found herself holding her breath with anxiety as they moved through. She kept waiting for someone to yell for them to stop, but nothing ever came. No one questioned them as they passed through checkpoints and then sat to wait for their flight to depart. But even when they were called to board their flight, she still caught herself glancing around the terminal for evidence of someone waiting to detain them.

“Thank you again,” Ruth whispered as they boarded their flight and took their seats in first class.

“No need to keep thanking me, Ruth. I am still very much in your debt.” He patted her knee.

Again, she chose not to respond to his comment because doing so meant thinking about things she meant to forget.

She felt her tension slip away as their plane lifted from the runway.  She slept the entire trip. Julien had to shake her awake as they landed safely on the Las Vegas runway several hours later.