Chapter Seven; The Assignment

"You don't even know me."I was shocked and afraid. I could feel my life crumbling around me. This one person had the power to break everything I've ever worked for. The worst part was that I wasn't even disgusted by what he said. I knew I should be and if I were normal, I probably would have been. But I wasn't normal and even though I was afraid, I felt the butterflies fluttering around my heart as desire crept up on me. I wanted to love. I would be crazy not to, but I had to look at this logically. He would destroy everything I've worked for and I couldn't have that."I know."A sad smile lingered on his face as he looked at me. I didn't know what else to say. I just knew I wanted to leave."I also know you don't accept me, but I was hoping we could be friends. No one else will talk to me."I knew by the look in his eyes, he could guess why no one else talked to him. He didn't have friends here because he was gay. But I couldn't be his friend."I don't have friends, nor do I want any. Thank you for the food, but I'll be leaving now."I hesitated for a minute before adding on to my previous statement."Don't talk to me again."I saw hurt flash across his eyes before I turned and hurried away. I took off running as soon as I got out the door. The school wasn't too far from here and if I kept my pace up, I would make it back before lunch break was over.Running made me feel numb. I didn't have to think about anything; my body just took over. I let my feet carry me towards the school without even thinking about it. As I approached the school, I slowed to a walk so I could catch my breath.Since I was a senior this year, I only had one more class I had to sit through before I could go home. Creative writing was definitely going to be one of my favorite classes this year. I could just relax and write about what is on my mind. I'd just have to change a few pronouns when describing situations.I reentered the quad and noticed everyone just starting to head inside, which meant lunch just ended. Quickly I passed people and headed for my locker to grab a notebook. As soon as I had a fresh notebook in my possession, I turned and headed in the other direction. I cast my eyes down as I passed Louis. The hurt in his eyes hadn't faded. If anything, it had gotten worse and he looked a little lost. Everyone else was avoiding him like he had a disease and I guess to them he did. I sucked in a deep breath before turning back towards him."Do you need help finding your class?"His green eyes filled with shock and curiosity. Others looked on in wonder and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at them. The least people could do was help him find his classes."Um, yeah, actually I do. I have creative writing with Mr. Heinze. Room 107, I think."I sighed inwardly. Of course, after our awkward conversation, we would have a class together and of course, it would be my favorite class. There was nothing I could do about it, so I guess I would just have to live with it."I have that class too. Follow me.""Caron," someone hissed.I followed the sound of the voice only to find Stephanie Brewster glaring at me."What are you doing?" She demanded well, glaring at me."Showing him to class obviously, is there something wrong with that?" I didn't really try to hide the fact that Stephanie annoyed me. She's been after me for years, even though I continuously reject her. I guess she doesn't get this idea of giving up."Yeah, there is actually. He's gay. You shouldn't associate with him."This was something I was expecting to happen sooner or later and luckily, I knew how to handle it."Thanks for the advanced warning," I replied acidly. My voice dripping in sarcasm. "But it's a little late for one, don't you think? I'm just showing him to class it's not like a three-minute walk is going to suddenly make me gay and it doesn't make me his friend, nor does it make me his associate."Before Stephanie has a chance to reply, I turned my attention back to Louis, who looked more confused than ever."Come on, or we'll be late."His eyes met mine briefly and he nodded. I lead him down several hallways, quickly glaring at everyone who was staring at us. It only momentarily caused their eyes to shift away and their whispers to be silenced, but it was enough. I didn't slow down my pace until I was inside room 107 and even then, I didn't turn around and say anything to Louis. I just marched to the closet available seat closing my eyes and sighing. There would be hell to pay for this; Stephanie, unfortunately, has a hold over the student body. Whatever she says go. No questions asked. She was undoubtedly pissed and she would start a war over it. Whether it would be against Louis or me, I couldn't be sure.Mr. Heinze was a captivating teacher. He had the ability to gain the class's attention without speaking or yelling and he didn't care if it were the first day of school or not. He would challenge us, regardless. This is why when class ended, I wasn't surprised that I had more homework I would need to complete. This assignment was to write a poem that described something personal about us. Something no one knew about us. I already had an idea for my poem.Tomorrow in class, he would partner us and we would have to share our poem. The best part was that we couldn't actually tell the other person what it was honestly about; they had to come up with that information themselves. The next step would be to write a story based on the other person's poem. When those were done, we would regroup with them and share our stories and see what the other came up with.By the time I got home from school, I was so unreasonably excited about this assignment that immediately started working on it. An hour later, I had finished my poem and made sure that there was no way it could be connected with my sexuality. Satisfied, I pulled out my calculus book and began to review what we had learned today. The rest of my night was spent studying what I had learned and starting assignments that wouldn't be due for weeks just so I could get ahead.