{twenty-eight}

Sparkfur tried to block out the sound of Kole writhing around in the snow, yowling in pain, painting it red with blood. She instead, turned her attention to Thrushcall, ducking her head so that she could groom his fur gently.

"Ryeheart believed in StarClan with all of his heart and soul.. I hope you did too, so that you can join him there." She whispered, glancing up as she heard a cat call her name.

A large, familiar, dull ginger tom with dark tabby stripes. There was a cut under his eye, and his ear had a new, bleeding nick.

"Waspclaw.." She murmured. He nodded in understanding as he saw the trembling form of Kole.

"I've got a scent trail on Spruceclaw.. I know Berryfoot wants you to stay safe, but honestly, I know you want to see him again." Sparkfur glanced down at Thrushcall's body one last time. He, like Ryeheart, wouldn't get a special burial.

"No tricks?" She narrowed her eyes, doubtfully. He scoffed.

"No tricks. We've got to go now. I've waisted enough time to find you." Sparkfur limped after him, the injury from falling down the hillside still aching in her hind leg.

She looked back over her shoulder for a quick look at Kole, regretting it. Blood was covering one half of his face, dripping down his muzzle. He had stopped squirming, and his left eye, which she hadn't raked her claws over, was narrowed with a chilling hate. She quickened her pace, even though the tom wouldn't stand a chance against her with the recently acquired injury.

"How do you know Spruceclaw's scent, anyway?" Sparkfur murmured, trying to not let her mind wonder to images of Kole.

"Spruceclaw was my mentor for my first two moons as an apprentice. Then you were born, and he left." Waspclaw glanced over at her, his face unreadable.

"It's not like it was my fault. It was his own choice to leave." She flicked her tail. Waspclaw checked the air, then continued along the snow covered meadow. A thin forest was just up ahead, and Sparkfur suspected it must be where Spruceclaw was. The broad tom swallowed, his ears flicking back.

"I bet you didn't think that when you were younger..?" He looked over at her with copper eyes. She shrugged.

"I suppose some cats might have blamed it on themselves... But Asterfoot told me every second that story got brought up it wasn't our fault." She blinked calmly. They trudged through the snow for another few moments in silence.

"I thought it was your fault." He murmured. "I thought you took my mentor away from me. But.. I've realized that he wasn't really.. You know... As great as I thought he was." Sparkfur stopped, her eyes narrowed in confusion.

"Are you telling me that this whole time you've been a pile of moldy leaves to me because you thought I, a newborn kit, made your mentor leave you?" Waspclaw breathed in indignantly.

"We need to hurry up." He growled. She trot after him, kicking up snow, her mind racing.

"We're so talking about this later.." She growled lightly. He held up his tail, crouching to the ground. She did as well, glancing at the scattered snow-covered bushes. Tall, thin oaks were spread about, but a cluster was just a tree-length away with thick foliage. He suddenly plunged into a bush, yanking out a white, scarred cat. He pressed a heavy paw to the cat's chest, and Sparkfur limped over quickly. The cat struggled around, but seeing as it was now two-on-one it slowed to a burning glare.

"Spruce was right about you clan cats-- you're savages!" The she-cat growled. Her white chest fur began to be stained with red as Waspclaw dug his long claws in deeper.