{ten}

The heavier rain season was over, but it still was always drizzling. It was raining that day. Sparkfur cautiously hunted, knowing a rouge patrol could come upon her any second. That was the whole point why she was hunting in such a dangerous place: the border.

She shivered numbly from the rain, recalling every word spoken to her by the bramble den warriors a week ago. She was to 'accidentally' run into a rouge gang patrol and join them and feed information back to the clans, potentially weaving up the ranks till she could get alone with the leader of the Rogues. Nobody had told her exactly what she'd have to do then, but she was was getting a feeling she knew what....

As the golden tabby pounced out at a mouse, purposefully missing and crashing to the ground with soupy mud sticking to her fur, she heard breaking of twigs in a nearby bush. She stood up, her ears pinned forward. She was 'pretending' to look scared, but she figured her acting was so good she had fooled herself.

"Hello?" She called out softly, a pair of yellow eyes peering out from the bushes. She backed up a pace, feeling fur against her hind leg and she bounced to her toes and she turned to see a pale ginger she-cat with a scar across her muzzle. The cat had sleek fur, defining a muscular figure.

She turned to face the bushes, crouching down. Three cats stalked out of the bushes: a broad strangely calico tom, a light brown she-cat with folded ears, and a very familiar, nervous reddish brown tom. Cypressfoot, the tom from DrizzleClan.

He had been sent in as an undercover just half a moon ago.

"Rust, whaddya say? D'ya think Cecil'll be willin' t' train a scrawny lil' kit like this?" the calico tom grinned. He had an ugly pink scar on his jaw. Cypressfoot had gone undercover with a different name: Rust. A stolen name, actually, from a loner who had stayed in DrizzleClan for a moon around a season ago.

"I think so. Anything to increase our ranks." Cypressfoot--Rust-- said, glancing at Sparkfur and trying not to give them both away. Sparkfur blinked, still crouched down in front of the massive calico patrol leader.

"I--join? What?" She finally spoke, her bright green eyes flashing.

"Join or die." He growled, baring his teeth. He was missing a tooth.

"I--j-join!" Mintstar had told her to act like a scared stray. Waspclaw had muttered something about that'd be too hard for her. She agreed to play such a low persona for the sake of proving the dull ginger deputy wrong.

"Great. We'll take you back to our camp.. Try not to piss yourself." He growled. The other cats immediately loosened up as soon as they turned, no longer seeming to be fierce and deadly. Seeming more like a warrior she'd see every day.

"What's your name, champ?" The she-cat with folded ears smiled big and bright. Sparkfur's eyes widened, confused. This was a rogue? Part of the fierce rogue band?! But she had fought them; they killed in cold blood! Why was she being so nice.

"Spark." The she-cat with the folded-ears laughed heartily, the pale ginger she-cat ducking in on Sparkfur's other side: she seemed a lot more quiet and reserved now rather than the ominous fierce cat she had just seen not two minutes ago.

"I'm Daisy." She had a soft voice and green eyes. "That's--"

"I'm Bray!" The pale chocolate she-cat with folded ears blared out with a proud grin. Sparkfur winced, she wasn't fond of over-baring cats. Rust stepped over to her, a hint of his classic flirty grin on his face.

"I'm Rust. That grumpy old cat is Fang." He blinked, and the calico tom flicked his patched tail sharply. Bray nudged the DrizzleClan she-cat with a grin.

"Whatcha doin' out here by yourself, anyways?"

"I--" Sparkfur recited her backstory in her head. "I was hunting."

"Yeah, a bang-up job of it! We watched you crash and burn!" The chocolate fold laughed again, taking a random bound in his stride, the calico patrol leader growled something under his breath as he led them out of the thinning forest, a sharp oily scent hanging in the air. Two-leg scent began to thicken and lingered like a skunk.

Sparkfur tried to hold her tongue, she missed on purpose!

"Yes, I always had someone looking out for me." She recalled what she had been told to say. "My mate died." It still stung, remembering Ryeheart's death. And then for it to just be passed off as part of her backstory made her cringe.

"Oh, you poor thing!" Daisy whispered, padding closer to the golden warrior's shoulder. "Are you.. Okay?"

"Yes, fine.."

"Don't worry! Now that you're one of us, you get to learn how to do all those things you depended on others for!" Bray tried her paw at comforting. Sparkfur looked ahead. She didn't need comforting.

"She's not one of us yet. Not until she passes recruit training." Fang growled. Rust seemed to stiffed, and Spark blinked. Something about that made him twist on the inside. The patrol leader crossed over a stretch of black two leg path without even looking both ways, the others following. Spark blinked and crossed after them hastily. There weren't any monsters.

She had a friend in SleetClan who'd tell her about thunderpaths with monsters that twolegs sat in and how they were dangerous, but she didn't see any danger.

"Where are the twolegs?" Sparkfur spoke up, glancing around in confusion. They were there recently, she could smell their scent in the air.

"They like to disappear at sunset. You really have been living in the woods a while!" Bray called from ahead, "we live by the saltwater, though." The were headed east, and the air was getting thicker. The rain had stopped at around sunhigh, and already is the grass was dryer, and as the sun began to descend the air tasted of salt.

"We live in the big abandoned two-leg camps!" the chocolate fold purred, excited to finally reveal the location: huge two-leg dens were visible lining the salt-water that licked up at the flat two-leg made barrier of stone. They padded down a boardwalk, the wood planks groaning lightly under their pawsteps. She could smell rogues thicker than the salt, and a few were lingering around either on watch duty or just taking a stroll.

While the walk there had been friendly, almost immediately an ominous shift in mood occurred. The other cats of the patrol bounded away to head to the large camp, leaving Sparkfur following Fang with her ears erect and emerald eyes wide, trying to absorb every detail.

As they reached the broad camp, Fang slipped inside via a rotted hole. Spark followed suit; it was only big enough for one cat at a time. Immediately she was met by a dark inside, light seeping in gloomily from yellowing fake-openings in the top of the walls. Cats were lined up, forming a walkway for her. She tried to hang onto her composure, walk without looking like she was about to leap out of her skin. Bravery. Act afraid when they first find you, then don't back down once you join. They want a strong cat in their band. At the end of the lineup was a young, muscular, broad stone gray mackerel tabby tom with handsome yellow green eyes, but an ugly pink scar across his shoulders.

"Welcome to the Rogues, where you're going to make a real difference to our cause: to extinguish the clans that plague the forest."

--
AN:
Changed the cover! I think it looks cooler and the picture is way better quality. I drew the chapter picture obviously, and in order from calico booty to pretty ginger it's Fang, Rust, Bray, Spark(fur), Daisy. Also, there aren't a ton of clan cats under cover, only around eleven total from all clans.