Chapter 6: Paint of the Stars

Start from the beginning

"Oh, look who we have here, huh?" A deep voice snapped Noble out of his endless gaze at the colorful lanterns only to see Callum with a couple other beat tamers beside him. Noble slid his gloved hands inside the white fur coat, hiding his clenched fists.

"What do you want?" Noble asked with a strained voice.

"Oh, you know what I'm here for Embers," Callum replied with venom.

"Actually, I don't. Care to explain?"

"I need the explanation from you because it seems like we have a fairy in our village!" Callum smirked. One of his friends, dark in color and very scary looking to noble, stepped forward with a grin just as large as Callum's.

Noble thought of the possibilities of what to say next. He could explain it to the nut heads, and maybe they would leave him alone for time being. Yet, he couldn't reveal a piece of knowledge of just what he was paired with. It wasn't like they were going to believe him in the first place anyways, right? Or he could tell them to screw off for a change. They didn't need to pry into Noble's life as they own it.

"And who needs to know?" Noble's voice was surprisingly strong and relentless. Usually, a dry throat would defuse any kind of chance of sounding any or at all confident.

"Who needs to know?" Callum mocked, "Well, that just makes you all more useless? A beast dud and a fairy? The Moon Goddess must really hate you for forsaken you with such bad luck."

"Well," Noble snapped back, "It isn't any of your god damn business, Callum. If you want to go beat someone up, then go beat yourself since I'm sure you're not getting action of Izzy anytime soon."

Noble felt some sort of pride in his gut when Callum's face lit up in a red flush while his friends held in their laughter. That was what topped the cake for Noble. 

"You wretched little - "

"It's not worth your trouble."

A frill of red hair entered the scene with a stern gaze right on the small boy.

"But Izzy - !"

"Just let the boy go, Callum." 

This had Noble confused. His stare shifted from protective to curious from her sudden change of heart. Her eyes told him to back off and not start anything. He squinted his eyes, trying to read just why she was being this way. He sent back to her that he was somewhat grateful but cautious. The boys backed off at the command of their pack leader being restrained by a women two times smaller than them. Noble darted for an opening.

Noble gapped in a breath as soon as he deemed his hiding spot worthy. He didn't know what just happened as it processed faster in his mind. His eyebrows joined together in confusion, and oddly enough, frustration. He certainly wasn't used to this kind of attention, but in the current forecast, Noble was most likely to run into more of that kind of trouble in the future. 

When was it going to end? Noble wondered to himself.

In due time, The voice in his head replied with certainty. Noble sighed, rubbing his nose into his scarf. He had more important things to worry about anyways. Today was the first day of the Lunar Festival, and it more a day of celebration than the worry of what might come of the future. Noble deserved it after all, didn't he? It was about time he had returned from his walk anyways. He needed to get ready for tonight's activities.

"Are you feeling a little better, sweetie?" His mother asked in a calm town as soon as he opened the door to their home. 

"I guess you can say that," He replied in his red scarf.