11. Protecting her from going too far

Start from the beginning

Yup, I'm a little too reckless sometimes.

Declan sat down next to me on the couch and rested his feet on the coffee table. I looked over at him as he watched the screen. He looked so relaxed and comfortable as he rested his arm along the back of the couch, his hand only inches from my shoulder. I was sitting rigid, feeling like if I moved even an inch, I was going to throw myself into him. Why did he make me feel like this?

"You ok, Goldilocks?" He asked, bringing me out of my thoughts. His mismatched eyes were locked on mine as the movie started playing. I nodded and then turned to look at the screen. My whole body was stiff as a board, tense with uneasiness. I had never watched a movie with a guy before and now, here I was alone with one. I kept my eyes on the screen, doing my best to focus on the movie.

All of a sudden, I felt his arm around my shoulders, pulling me close to him. I immediately felt myself relax into him. His touch was enough to calm my nerves. I rested my left hand on his abs and my cheek in the crook of his neck. I closed my eyes and sighed.

This right here was why I trusted him. He knew exactly what I needed, exactly when to push me and exactly how I wanted to be touched. It was like he knew my thoughts before I did.

"Hey, Goldi?" His voice was soft and it massaged my aching heart.

"Yeah?"

"Where are your mom and sister now?" He asked carefully.

"My mom is living in a couple towns over and my sister goes to a college in California. She wanted to get as far away from this place as she could." I explained and then I realized Declan had never once mentioned anything about his own mom.

"...where's your mom?" I asked hesitantly. I felt his arm tighten around me.

"She passed away when I was young." He said quietly.

I sat up a little and looked at his eyes. They were starting to water as he stared at the screen. I leaned in and kissed his cheek, gaining his attention.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered.

"It's ok." He said, giving me a small smile. I stared into his eyes as they entranced me. His eyebrows furrowed all of a sudden, looking worried.

"What's wrong?" I asked. He shook his head slowly and then brought his face closer, leaning his forehead against mine. It was making me extremely conscious of our bodies and sending strange waves through me that I didn't quite understand. His eyes were directly looking into mine, making me slightly wary under his gaze.

"Will you go on a date with me?" He sounded hopeful but nervous. His hand that was resting on my shoulder was shaking the tiniest bit and I wouldn't have noticed if he weren't touching me.

"Yes." I said, surprised by the feeling of strength in my own voice. I realized I had no choice but to trust him fully now. He knew everything about me that I was so afraid of. I still felt scared of the idea of dating him but nearly as much as before. His whole body relaxed from its tense state and he looked down at me, showing a small smile.

"Thank God." He said, sounding extremely relieved. I gave him a small laugh and then returned to watching the movie. We watched the rest of the film in a comfortable silence, simply enjoying each other's presence. Once the credits started playing, I turned to Declan.

"I better get going." I said as I started to stand up. Suddenly he grabbed my hand and pulled me down on top of him, my legs on either side of his hips and my hands on his chest. His eyes stared into mine as they glazed over with lust.

"D-Declan!" I felt my heart start pounding harder and faster in my chest. He looked so serious with our faces only inches apart.

"Do you trust me?" He asked, his eyes full of desire.

"Yes, but..." I trailed off, not able to finish when he was staring at me like I was the only thing that existed in this world.

"I'm not going push you. I know you're not ready. I just want to hold you. Let me hold you, Goldi." His voice was so full of hope and longing. So I crumpled onto his body, letting him scoop me up in his strong arms. I closed my eyes and breathed in his scent of cinnamon and pine, making me want to bottle it up and save it for a day he wouldn't be with me. I felt his face bury into my hair, his nose brushing lightly against my hairline. We stayed like that for while before I finally pulled away reluctantly, looking into his mismatched eyes. His eyes spoke to my soul, reassuring me of his words he had once said.

"Ever since I've met you, you've become my oxygen. I feel like I can't breathe without you."

I smiled at him and then slowly got off of him and stood up. He looked so disappointed but I knew I had to leave now or else I would give in and kiss him and I wasn't ready for that.

"I really have to go, Declan." I told him as I stared into his captivating eyes. He stood up and took my hands in his.

"Alright. But you'll be here tomorrow to work out right?" He asked. I nodded and then he leaned in and kissed the tip of my nose. I felt a blush cover my cheeks as he smirked at me.

"Go now, or I'm not going to be able to resist you any longer." He said, letting go of my hands, leaving them feeling cold without his touch. I forced myself to walk away though and out the front door. I got into my car and let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

Declan Murphy, you have officially broke down my wall.