4-A Matter of Love

Three years later...

"C'mon Ben! We gotta go if we want to make it to the caves in time!" Rey shouted at Ben.

Three years had passed since Rey had arrived at the Jedi academy; and they have been the best three years of her life. There was so much love and light that she felt with the Jedi, and she felt as though she was apart of one, big, happy family.

Ben. Ben was like a brother to her, although over the past year she developed a little crush on him. Well, maybe little was not really that little....and it was not quite a crush...Rey loved him. She knew that he could never have the same feelings for her, since he was three years older...most kids her age didn't even socialize with someone over their age group unless they were training with the older student. Ben would probably look upon her weirdly for it too.

Rey had learned all about Jedi history, and how the famous Anakin Skywalker turned to the dark side, in order to save Padmé Amidala; his wife whom he secretly married. In the time of the Old Republic, the Jedi Council did not allow for any attachments. No love. No marriage. All of these were considered dangerous for the way of the Jedi. What was quite ironic, is that the rule that was meant to preserve the Jedi, tore them apart. That is why, in the new generation of Jedi, Luke allowed for the Jedi to have attachments...as he felt they were necessary to these young students' lives.

Although Rey admired that Anakin went to such far lengths for love, she saw this particular piece of history from a different perspective. She saw what love could do to you. How it ruined Anakin and turned him into Darth Vader. Love is what killed Anakin Skywalker.

Rey thought of this over and over again. Filtering through her thoughts. Whilst making her way to the ship, Rey was deep in thought, and she remembered one story Master Luke had told her; the story of the redemption of Darth Vader. Love is also what brought back Anakin Skywalker. Luke's love and faith revived Anakin Skywalker from deep within the depths of Darth Vader.

For those reasons, Rey was unsure if she should even love anyone. She was scared to love Ben, or others for fear of what those attachments could do to her. All of these things ran through her head as she climbed the steps alongside Ben up to the ship that would take them to the icy planet Illum; where Ben and herself would earn their Kyber crystals from the crystal caves that resided on the planet.

Rey had been working very hard for the past couple of years, and she was one of the best students in the academy alongside Ben. Master Luke didn't rank people on age, but by ability...although people of the same age were usually at the same ability level. This was except for Rey and a couple of others. This is why today, Rey would be getting her Kyber crystal, so she could build her own lightsaber.

Ben too, was excited to earn his crystal, and he was excited to be doing so beside Rey. He loved the little girl. She was like a little sister to him. She was someone he could always go to, and talk about anything with. He never kept anything from her...

The wind whipped around Ben and Rey as they held hands trudging through the snow. Up ahead, through the icy barren landscape, they could spot a bright opening of a cave. Ben could feel Rey's happiness through the bond of the force that they had created through the years, due to their close relationship. The two powerful young students slowly made their way to the caves, taking their time. Both of the young Jedi were very anxious...earning a Kyber crystal was one of the most important moments of one whom was following the path of a Jedi.

They finally arrived at the mouth of the cave, looking in wonderment at the shining crystals around them. Light reflected off of every angle, causing rainbows to scatter upon the floor. This particular cave was large. Spanning at least several meters in every direction. The ceilings were magnificent, with huge crystals hanging down, at least twenty meters up above their heads.

Rey smiled at Ben and said, "Are you ready to get your crystal Ben?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," and the two friends set out on perhaps one of their most important quests ever.

Salut my readers! (Salut means "hi" in French) What did you think of this chapter? It's a little shorter than my others...I have been trying to keep my chapters 900 words or more. This one, (not including this note) was 786 words. Please let me know if I messed up in the tense of my verbs...sometimes I forget I'm writing in past tense. This chapter made a three year time jump...so that means Rey is now 10, and Ben is now 13. Just wanted to clarify that so there's no confusion. I'm editing this tomorrow, as I really don't have time to tonight...so forgive me spelling/grammar mistakes. Okey Dokey Artichokies, I'm signing off for the evening.
May the force be with you,
-MJ