The Teeth of a Hurricane

Spits of water fell from the sky, and I listened to their gentle tune. It patted together in a perfect rhythm of harmony. I began tapping out the tiny pats, and occasionally glanced around the parking lot.

            Soon, Samuel came strolling out of the restaurant door, zipping up with worn leather jacket. He flipped up his hoodie over his head from underneath, and slowly jogged towards his car.

            He was oblivious and unaware of my presence, and I almost feared his reaction when my company became known.

            I stood up from my seat in the shelter by the restaurant, and slowly followed him.

            Just as he pulled the door open, his gaze fell upon mine. Fear and puzzlement washed over his face ever so quietly, but rather effectively. Samuel stared at me, as if I was a mysterious figment of his imagination, and he couldn’t blink it away. His mouth dropped open, revealing his shocked, bewildered expression.

            “Sea?” he asked once he finally regained his words. “What the heck are you doing?”

            I tried to smile helpfully, and shrugged. “You told me where to find you.”

            He still stood outside the car, leaning in with that unmoving expression. He shook his head. “What? How did you get here, I don’t understand!”

            I bobbed my head slightly, and remained as calm and polite as I could in order to keep him with me. “I took a cab. I wanted to come with you when my father is found,” I explained.

            He shut his mouth after a moment, and slammed the door to the grey Ford shut, walking away in frustration. I leaned forwards, watching him walk in circles, and rub his hands over his head.

            Once he got himself together, he took a breath, and returned, opening the door. He closed his eyes, and sighed for me to hear. “Sea,” he said slowly and clearly, as if I was a child. “You might not understand how much pressure I'm under right now. Don’t you see that I'm already behind schedule? Now making sure you get home alright will set me even further behind!”

            “What?” I exclaimed. “Samuel, with all due respect, I'm not planning on going back home.”

            “Oh yes you are,” he insisted matter-of-factly, climbing into his seat. The car turned on with a hum, instantly warming up us up. I climbed into the passenger’s side, instantly warming up.

            I shook my head with disbelief. In the back of my mind, I knew that this would happen, but I figured that it was a bridge to cross once I got to it. Well, I was standing in the middle of it. Waiting to cross.

            “How’d you even know I was still here? he asked with an edge to his voice.

            I looked at him glumly. “I asked the lady, Sam I Am.”

            “Oh.”

            He fell silent.

            I allowed a few moments of quiet silence pass by us as he pulled out of the parking lot. I waited.

            “Samuel, just let me be a car-watcher. I’ll stay in the car at all times, and I’ll keep it locked, just so no one will steal it or anything. You won’t have to worry about a thing,” I suggested.

            He peered at me quickly, and then turned back to the driving. “I would, Sea, I really would. But I don’t really know what these guys are going to do. Lincoln especially, haven’t you seen my face? If they’re dangerous, then I really should call in backup and not be doing this at all. I’ll likely loose my job. If it’s too risky for me, it’s definitely too dangerous for you.”