Chapter 3: Frozen

Hanji sat at her cubical as the night drew in. It was almost time for her to clock out as she thought about the entirety of it all. She couldn't believe what Levi was putting you through, you, out of all people. She was a bit baffled by it since he had always deemed "cheating bastards as disgusting pigs that deserve nothing but shit in their mouths and brooms up their asses." Oh, the irony of it all. He had always been so hostile when men, or even women, talked to you or even looked at you. The very thought of him being so hypocritical was unbelievable, he had always been honest, maybe even too honest, but he never lied.

So, why the hell now?

It wasn't that you were making things up in your head because Hanji had proof you were telling the truth. The way they talked with each other, the way they looked at each other, the obvious stiffening of their bodies as she walked in on them trying to hide the very fact that they were indeed fucking! Levi would attempt to act like everything was in the ordinary, but by the looks of his damn shirt and the papers that were sprawled all over the ground, she knew. Everyone fucking knew.

It had been three months since you asked her to spy on Levi for you, and she still hasn't given you any information on the whole ordeal. She had plenty of proof. The texts messages she had confiscated were enough to send you over the edge but what she witnessed would be enough to send you into inner turmoil. She was honestly worried for you. She felt the need to protect you like you were her own cute, innocent, little sister. Not to say you weren't persistent. You had even sent the intern, Eren, to tell her to "fucking tell you what was going on!" Hanji felt like a bitch, but she needed a moment to figure her shit out as well.

Her eyes peered over to the infamous Ackerman's office. He appeared to be drawn to his work while Petra just clumsily dropped a stack of papers behind him. Hanji sighed. She watched as Petra mentioned something to Levi. His gaze finally looked over at her and started replying to whatever the hell she said. Hanji figured he was giving her some dumbass lecture about keeping the papers from 'dirtying' the carpet, but she couldn't have been more wrong.

Her eyes widened at the scene before her. Her eyes jolting forward violently as her eyelids and muscles tensed around them. Keeping them restrained as they desperately tried to escape. She looked away as she packed her things. Crinkling and scrunching the papers while doing so, she clipped her bag shut and headed for the elevator.

"Oi, Shitty Glasses!" she looked behind her to find Levi speeding towards her.

She shook her head in disgust before turning away. She was almost to the elevator. Her heart was pounding with rage and fear. How would you take this? To know the truth that he was indeed fucking Petra was hard for Hanji to even fathom, how could she even bare to tell you the news.

"Dammit, Hanji, let me explain."

But she wouldn't let him explain. She couldn't. The metal doors began to shut as his cold gaze and piercing grey eyes poured into hers. She saw him mouth something and she could have sworn she caught a glimpse of tears streaming down his cheek.

... . ... . ... . ...

The heat that radiated from the fire before you comforted you in a way. It made up for the warmth you had missed so much. His arms were no longer around to hold you; his sweet kisses upon your cheek were a distant memory; his very presence a mere ghost. The tree stood tall in the corner. Its lights glistened and gleamed against the fake greenery. It's branches were decorated in the ornaments you and him had gotten throughout the years. At the very top laid the star that your mother had given you both the day of your honeymoon.

Beneath the tree laid at least a dozen presents left untouched, "You couldn't even spend this one day with me, Levi. Not even Christmas. Not even your birthday."

Upon the coffee table laid some cookies, a pot of black tea, and a birthday gift. You had planned the whole night. The mistletoe was up by the front door; you would readily kiss him as he walked through the door with that genuine smile of his you missed so much. Then you both would make your way into the living room and enjoy movies as he drank his black tea and you drank your hot cocoa. Finally moving onto the presents, wishing him a happy birthday and Merry Christmas with a hopeful end of making love.

But that wasn't going to happen. He deserted you. Again.

You felt the tears swell up in your eyes as you looked down at the gift in front of you. You were so excited to have him open it, see his reaction of happiness and joy. To see that smile you missed so much. Though, you knew where you stood now. You never even got a fucking text from him. Nope, he just left you fucking hanging.

"I'm...n-not...good enough-" You cried in between sobs.

You just let your body flop onto the couch. Releasing your anguish into the very blanket you held so closely to your body. Tears, sweat, and makeup ran down your face as you melted into the couch. Misery and uncertainty washed over you like a tidal wave as you dwelled on your past love. You could feel your lungs gasp for air as you heard the doorbell ring.

Your body lifted itself almost immediately, and as you opened the door you could feel your eyes turn cold and your knuckles become white.

"You."