Chapter 14 • An Engagement

It was sunset and the fiery red orb of light slowly sank beneath the horizon, and threads of light lingered in the sky, mingling with the rolling clouds, dyeing the heavens first orange, then red, then dark blue, until all that was left of the sunset was a chalky mauve, and then that melted away in turn as stygian darkness took over the sky. Sequin-silver stars like the glowing embers of a dying fire, winking and illuminating the atramentous curtain of sky, and then suddenly the clouds parted, and a lustrous, argent disc casts brilliant rays of moonlight onto the dark grounds.

Mirabella had walked out of the bathroom, through the closet, and into her chamber. She was wearing a black, silk bathrobe that reached just down to her mid thighs and her long, dark brown hair fell over her back. Her cheers were tinted with a light pinky shade, and her lips looked almost red. The sound of the wood cracking played softly in the fireplace and the lights on the walls were on, making the room look a warm tone.

She had her dress laid out on her bed before she went to take a shower, so she didn't have to look for it once she was finished showering. As she looked down at her dress, she noticed that there was a black box next to the dress. She reached her hand out and picked the box up. She picked at the lock, and the box opened, reviling a beautiful necklace with matching earrings. She smiled at the set as she placed the box back down on the bed, and went to sit at her dresser.

••••

Daniel stood waiting downstairs by the front door, his hands tucked in the his pocket and his head bowed down as he paced back and forth. He would look at his watch from time to time and then place his hands back behind his back.

He stopped pacing and checked his watch, six forty was the time and they had told Bianca and Andrej that they would be there at seven. He sighed as he dropped his hand down by his side. He turned his head to the two staircases and done a double take on the right side of the staircase.

Mirabella almost chocked; Daniel stood on the side dressed in a black tuxedo with a black shirt underneath and a black bow tie. His jet black hair was neatly slick like a sweeping tide of obsidian, but still held that natural wave and was out of his face, revealing his handsomely carved facial features.

While Mirabella was taking in his appearance, Daniel was beyond speechless at the sight of his wife. Mirabella wore a long, deep red dress that was covers in sequins, it was low-cut on the back and she wore black, lace high heels. He noticed that she was wearing the jewellery set which he placed in her chamber while she was in the shower. The jewellery set was gold and it came with a necklace, two bracelets and a set of earrings. Her long dark, brown hair was down and parted down the middle, and her makeup wasn't too much and it wasn't too less either, her eyeshadow was a faint copper-golden colour with silver glitter on the inner eye cresses, winged eyeliner and blood red lips.

She looked exquisite.

Mirabella cleared her throat, blinked and looked away from him. This made Daniel smirked as he watched her. What is wrong with me? Mirabella asked herself. I should be hating him...fighting and arguing with him...I shouldn't be charmed by his handsome looks...am I loosing my mind?

She looked down at her hands and inhaled a shaky breath, she had no idea why she was nervous all of a sudden.

Daniel looked away and blinked as he cleared his throat before speaking. "Everyone is already at the party," he said. Mirabella nodded her head and shot him a small smile. It felt as though she could move her jaw to open, and what Daniel said next made her heart jump and like she had forgotten how to speak English, Italian or any language she had known.

"You look beautiful, love."

Mirabella stood still for a moment, not knowing what go say. She was never good with compliments. "Thank you," she finally said with a smile that she was trying to hide. "You don't look bad yourself."