MATE

"Ariel-"

"No."

"I'm sorry-"

"No."

"Sunshine, ple-"

"You don't have the right to call me that right now, Stiles!" Ariel hissed at the lanky boy. He had been begging her to talk to him all morning and it was really starting to annoy her.

"What do you want me to say, Ariel? I'm sorry." He lost his patience, throwing his arms out in annoyance.The angry blonde turned towards him, looking Stiles in the eyes for the first time. Her brown orbs were full of hurt and betrayal.

"Sorry doesn't cut it Stiles. I was in the worst pain of my life Friday night. I almost crashed my car, I almost died. I needed you! And you ran off after Scott. You totally forgot about me. All I got was a text the next morning asking if I was alright. No! I'm not fucking all right! I'm apparently mated to some werewolf whom I've never met, I have a freaky tattoo on my neck, I grow claws and somehow always wake up in my bed dressed in random shirts after passing out in the forest!" Ariel broke, spilling to the shell shocked boy next to her. She was painting vigorously, refusing to show him the tears welling in her eyes. Her brush moved in vicious strokes across the canvas.

"Hey. Hey. I'm sorry. I didn't know all this stuff was happening to you. I guess I focused more on Scott because he has more anger issues and I haven't really thought about you. I promise I'll make it up to you, okay?" Stiles grabbed her hand, pulling her attention away from her canvas. She smiled softly, grabbing the boy and wrapping him in a big bear hug.

"You better be making it up to me with pizza and video games sometime this week, Stilinski." She laughed. Stiles smiled into her hair, overjoyed to have his friend back. Through out this whole werewolf ordeal, Ariel had kind of been drifting away from the boys- not going to practices or sitting out some hang outs. It felt good to be back where she belonged- with her best friend.

"I don't think you really grasped the concept of self portrait, Ms McCall. I'm sure it may have to do with the embrace you and Mr Stilinski are in." The terse voice of their art teacher had the two springing apart as if they were on fire. Stiles fell backwards, flailing his arms as he hit the floor. Ariel simply, brushed her hair behind her shoulder and looked up at her teacher with a questioning look.

"But I was-" she trailed off, her gaze falling on her fresh acrylic painting. Instead of her face on the canvas, a different image was in its place. A couple of quick and angry brush strokes had formed a pair of eyes. The same pair of eyes that had been haunting her recent dreams. A pair of eyes with irises as red as blood.

-

"I'm not gonna lie, Scott, I'm scared." Ariel lay draped lazily across Scotts bed, circling multiple choice answers on her chemistry homework. "Hunters, werewolves, werewolf mates- this is either becoming the plot of a horror movie or something along the lines of Twilight. I'm not sure which ones worse."

"What's this whole mates thing anyway? Does that mean you're mated to the one who bit us?" Scott questioned. He was sitting next to his sister, sneakily copying her answers down onto his own paper.

"I guess so. I'm still totally clueless about the whole thing. But going off of what I read the other night, I should be running for the hills." The blonde groaned, flinging her head down onto the bed.

"So-" Scott started but was cut off abruptly by his sister.

"No I don't wanna talk about it. I don't need to think about it. How are you and Allison?"

"She's great. I mean except for her father, she's amazing." The younger McCall sighed, a dopey smile growing on his face.

"Hey" the McCall siblings whipped around, startled by the sudden presence in the room. Melissa McCall stood in the doorway, staring at her children with a small smile. "I'm working late tonight. But I am taking a day off to see your first game Saturday, Scott."