Murphy x Reader 05

Summary: [[on the ark]] (name) was adopted by the Chancellor and witnesses the execution of Murphy's dad. After she hears that he was imprisoned, she begins visiting him.

FANFIC:

You silently walked down the corridor that houses the young prisoners of the Ark. A guard strode beside you, the keycard held tightly in his hands. Eventually he stopped in front of a cell, sliding the card while speaking to you.

"This is the one. I'll be out here waiting. Knock if you need anything."

You just nodded, slowly trudging into the cell as you tried to calm your racing heart. What were you supposed to say? Would he hate you?

"What now?" The teen grunted when the door opened. "I'm not eighteen yet, you can't kill me."

"Wasn't planning on it..."

His head snapped up and his light blue eyes locked with your own (e/c) ones. He sneered.

"The Chancellor's daughter?"

"Adopted daughter," You shrugged before sighing. "Look... I don't agree with what Chancellor did. He may have adopted me, but that doesn't mean I'm anything like him. The only reason he even took me in was because he felt guilty for floating both of my parents."

John Murphy seemed to freeze at this as realization dawned on him. You were living with the man that had your parents killed. You had just as much of a reason to hate the Chancellor as he did...

"I know it doesn't change anything, but... I thought that I would come apologize on his behalf."

Finally, Murphy spoke.

"You don't have anything to apologize for..." he said quietly, as if he was afraid of anybody else hearing him. "It's the Chancellor's fault, not yours."

~

You visited Murphy every day for about a month. The two of you talked about anything and everything during your time together. You tried to push away the thought of his probable execution next year as the two of you laughed together.

"Why do you visit me, (name)?" The brunet asked one day as you played cards on the floor.
You rolled your eyes.

"Why do you ask me that everyday?"

He looked down and shrugged, his pale cheeks beginning to turn a bright pink, not that you noticed as you were busy shuffling the cards.

"I dunno..." He muttered. "I'm just... Just a criminal. I'll probably be dead by next year, so why bother spending your time on me?"
Your stomach lurched at the way he spoke of his own death so casually, as if he didn't even care about his own life or what happened to him. It was almost enough to break your heart.

"Because, Murphy, I care about you. I know it doesn't mean much, but I do."

The boy's eyes dropped to the floor as he began fidgeting with the zipper of his jacket. His mouth opened hesitantly but he closed it a moment later. The small cell went silent.

Finally, Murphy tugged you closer and looked you in the eyes; he was nervous. His large hands were sweating and slightly shaky as he cupped your cheek and drew you closer.
Subconsciously, you licked your lips as your own heart began racing. After what felt like an eternity, Murphy smashed his lips against yours in a slow kiss, letting his hand move to the back of your neck as yours lightly gripped his shoulders.

The door opened suddenly and yells filled the cell.

"Grab him."

"Get her out of here."

"Careful with this one."

You and Murphy both broke apart as guards grabbed him by the arms and started dragging him out of the cell. Two more guards restrained you while you thrashed.

"Hey!" You screamed at them. "What are you doing? Where are you taking him?"

Murphy was kicking and punching at the three guards, but nothing worked. They pulled him off and you saw one of the council members waiting there smiling.

Your adoptive father joined the two guards restraining you.

"Where are they taking him?" You questioned as tears ran down your cheeks.
The Chancellor only started after Murphy while replying curly,

"He's getting a second chance."