What we've become

Max's POV

It's eleven pm and the house is dead silent. William is staying over at Tyler and Drake for the weekend and Kya has a sleep over. Anakin is slowly falling asleep on my lap trying to stay awake to keep me company but I pet his head telling him that he can close his eyes and he does. The rhythmic motion of his breathing calms me and makes me sleepy as well. In the distance I can hear Chloe softly whispering to me to rest my head on her lap and fall asleep but she isn't here, not in this room anyways. She must be up stairs hurled over dozens of new sketches and messaging her crew as preparation for their next convention in new york. As chaotic as she has always been she is very serious and organized about her tattoo business and it pays off. I can see it makes her happy whenever she picks up the pencil with a new fresh idea or when one of her customers sends in a picture of their artwork a few weeks after it was done. The smile and enthusiasm on her face whenever she has a new convention to attend is simply magical. I wish I could share her passion. In a way I do. She's the Da Vinci and I'm simply capturing the piece of art on paper. Although photography is an art of its own that even Chloe is passionate about, lately she has been borrowing my cameras a lot. I don't know what she does to them and whenever I ask she just shrugs her shoulders, flashes her smug smile and this spark in her eyes appears when she answers,"You'll see. Be patient honey."
And I have been for almost a year now. Whenever I snuck into her office to look for anything. Just a polaroid or maybe a note where she had scribbled her ide on, she would be standing in the doorpost a few minutes later clicking her tongue while shaking her head.
"You are unbelievable." She would say walking towards me while I would sink into her office chair agitated that I couldn't find anything.
"Just give me a hint." I begged once.
She chuckled and sat on my lap while overlooking the wall with some newspaper scraps of our collaborations with famous companies and people.
"With every succes we started to forget where we came from, who we once were before we escaped. Sometimes we just need a reminder that despite our influence and status we are not invincible, we aren't Gods. Just like all the others corrupted husks of flesh and bones."
She would look at me with this fire in her eyes but also a hint of compassion.
"When we are all just ghosts and the madness over takes us. We must never forget where we came from even if that past was hella shity. Even if that past hurts, it is what made both of us who we are now."
She took my hand and kissed it softly.
"Despite what we think of our selves we aren't innocent anymore, matter of fact we never were. We are criminals, we did bad things but the diffrence between us and the others is that we took responsibility for those mistakes."
She kissed my forehead while standing up and left the room before I could ask her about the lecture she had just given me. She left me wondering, rethinking my whole life reliving every little mistake I had made. Yet by the end of the day I gave up. I had been grinding my gears for hours but still wasn't able to wrap my head around her words.
Suddenly loud footsteps from the staircase fill the house with noise. Anakin wakes up waggging it's tail jumping of me as he sees Chloe.
She drops to her knees to pet the happy dog as I just stare at them with joy. She looks up at me with the brightest smile in the whole universe, her eyes tired but full of excitment.
"It's time."
She whispers.
I excitedly jump off the couch and put on my jacket with a thick red scarf because it's freezing outside.
"You look so cuddly."
Chloe says hugging me from behind. I raise an eyebrow as I turn around to look at my wife. Married with kids, successful owners and even role model's. Who would've thought Chloe and I would make it so far and so high.
"So where are we going?"
I ask as she wraps a red scarf around her neck and tucks it into her coat.
"You'll see."
She walks out the door swinging her keys around her finger whisteling the Adam's Family theme.
"What no blindfold?"
I mock as I close the door after Anakin runs out the door and into the truck.
Still the rusty trusty old beat up red truck.
She raises an eyebrow and smirks, that little crooked smile that gives away she is planning something.
"Won't be needed."
She winks and disappears into the car.
I sigh and shake my head, what does she have plannend. Her mysterious hint replays in my head again the flashes and memories of Rachel's terror replay. I guess the only way I'll find out what it is is by getting in the car with her and I do.