CHAPTER 20

Avery

Something moist touches my cheek, causing me to roll over and stretch. I slept so well last night that I almost forgot all about Lucky being here. Until now...

I run my arm over my face as Lucky paws at me and whines. "I'm awake." I laugh as Lucky jumps on my chest, causing me to fall back onto the mattress when I go to sit up.

"Morning, beautiful."

A smile slowly creeps to my lips as I look over to see Jace leaning against the door shirtless, arms resting at his sides, as he smiles at down at me.

He looks so damn beautiful as always.

I gently bite my bottom lip and run a hand through Lucky's soft fur. "Good morning, Jace," I whisper, while patting Lucky's back and watching as he jumps off the bed and runs through the hall in a hurry. Laughing, I look up at Jace and shake my head. "What was that all about?"

Jace pushes away from the door, smiles, and steps out of his snug boxer briefs, before quickly walking toward me.

My eyes hungrily scan his naked body as he steps up next to the bed and grabs me by my sides. "I know he has to be just as hungry as I am," he breathes. "He'll be occupied for a while."

I let out a soft moan as Jace's hands tighten around my body, pulling me close to his warm chest. I gently place my right hand over his racing heart and smile. "If you're hungry, then maybe you should cook us some breakfast," I tease.

Jace's eyes wander down to my legs as he chews on his lip ring. "Nothing can satisfy my hunger, like the taste of you. Trust me on this." He runs his hand down the front of my camisole, before yanking on my hips, pulling me back down to the bed. "I'm not letting you leave."

I throw my head back and giggle as Jace presses his lips to my neck. It tickles, but at the same time, feels so damn good. "Never?" I question.

Jace presses harder into my neck while gripping onto my right thigh. "Never." He pauses to look at me. "Okay, well maybe not never. Just not for a while..." He laughs and then presses his mouth against mine.

My fingers lightly tangle through Jace's messy hair as he hovers his body above mine, barely brushing mine, and grips the back of my neck. His touch is so caring, yet strong at the same time. He makes my whole body want to melt into his and get lost.

"Jace," I whisper. "I meant what I said."

Jace's body stiffens as he pushes me down into the soft pillow. His beautiful eyes study mine, while he presses his body into me and cups my face. "I know." He smiles, his finger grazing over my lip, as he squeezes my hip with his free hand. "I believed you the first time and I meant it to. I just hope you believe that."

"I want to," I whisper. "You're the only thing that's keeping me breathing. I had nothing before I found you. I am nothing-"

"Don't say that, Avery," He cuts in, his voice soft. "You were always something special. You were just too blind to see it. You were brought up to believe you were nothing. Like no one could ever care for you." He grabs my hand and kisses it. "That's all bullshit. Do you understand? You are... everything to me."

"Jace. I don't-"

"It's true, Avery," he blurts out.

He stands up from the bed and walks over to the window. "You have been everything to me since our first kiss. I felt something I've never felt with anyone else. Suddenly, the only thing that mattered to me was your happiness. I wanted you to be happy and I wanted to be a part of that happiness." He turns away from the window and brings his eyes up to meet the ceiling. "You're all I think about. When you left... you..." He bites his lip in frustration. "You broke my fucking heart. I looked everywhere for you. Everyone told me it would be fine. That you would return when you were ready. What nobody knew... was that I was afraid you'd never be ready. It scared the shit out of me."