41 - Another One Bites the Dust

Start from the beginning

Even now he smirked, watching them work from a bench in the circular courtyard of the garden. Every once in a while he provided advice or pointers for when Catherine's experience ran dry or was not as concise as it should have been. The young Auditore always made some point or quick remark in reply, but it seemed to be more in jest than any real malice like before. It was almost playful, and certainly had the redhead raising brows and occasionally smirking until the young woman glared so fiercely she ended up grinning cheekily. It was just too fun.

"You can mostly likely hide it in your sleeve, or I know some courtesans have an even thinner one they keep in their hair—use it as a pin," Ottavio spoke up from his spot, motioning to the blade and then to the back of his hair.

Claudia snorted, standing up straight and giving him a look, "You would know that."

"Of course. I am a proper man," he replied with a smirk that only widened at the light blush that came to her face. "That, and I'm the Captain. I've helped train the women in combat to defend themselves if need be at Ghita's request. It's not an easy occupation."

"No... I suppose it is not," the young woman hummed, looking to her stiletto. "I suppose... if there is something thinner I could use that. Or I am sure Annetta could do something—perhaps make a hidden pouch in my dresses."

Catherine nodded, "Sounds like something to ask for sure."

"But first you need to keep practicing—you're still a little sloppy," the Captain mused.

Claudia raised a brow, "Oh? Do tell, Captain."

Ottavio chuckled as he stood up and walked his way over. He gestured for her to get into stance and then to attack. The young woman narrowed her eyes suspiciously as the redhead backed off to give them room, but ultimately, she took his bait. She struck as instructed, aiming for his lower body, but found herself easily countered. Without much effort he grasped her wrist and tugged, forcing her to stumble quite a bit. It was only his other arm catching her around the front that kept her from falling. Her face went bright red as he helped her up, and her glare intensified. Ottavio only smirked again.

"See? You don't have your balance still, and you make your attacks obvious. Also, your arm is too tense for striking quickly with this toothpick," he mused wryly, twirling the weapon in his grip. Claudia pouted, embarrassed and her pride insulted—even if he was right. To be fair, she was a novice, so it was to be expected. Still; she was a prideful creature, so she huffed, and held out her hand.

"Which is exactly why I am practicing. You will have to forgive me, my dear Captain, if I am not perfect at it yet," she replied coolly. When he did not give her the dagger right away she lifted her brow, giving him a look. "May I have my weapon now?"

"Of course, my Lady," the Captain bowed his head politely as he placed the weapon into her hand. "You are doing well, though. You will become quite impressive with it in no time—just as you do with all you apply yourself to, Claudia."

The young woman had opened her mouth to make some retort, but it was silenced as he kept going. Instead, her flush from before deepened and her huff got huffier, although far from annoyance or being upset. No, this was a very different kind, and Catherine couldn't help noticing it. She kept quiet, though, as Claudia wrapped her hands around the knife, eyes always on Ottavio's; never wavering. Her huff lightened some and eventually she looked away with her cheeks still a little pink.

"Yes... Well... Thank-you. You are... a good tutor... and you are right. I do need work, and I will improve with time. I thank-you for your advice as well. Catherine, you will make note of it, yes?" she inquired, looking to the redhead almost too quickly.