Chapter 15

The next morning, I am awoken by Vera, who is overly excited for the wedding. I wish I could mirror her joy, but I just woke up, and I'm really not a morning person. She rouses me from bed and directs me to the bath, where servants are waiting to help scrub me clean and prepare me for Cullen.

The women are gentle with me, taking care of my skin, making sure that it is silky and soft. They dry me off with great care, then add oils to ensure that my skin remains soft for the rest of the night.

My hair is carefully styled so that it frames my face, but my vallaslin is still visible from behind my bangs. They add wildflowers to my hair, then line my eyes with kohl, and my lips with –what I assume is- the Avvar version of lipstick. They're dolling me up for this, literally.

Lastly, they dress me in some of the highest quality fur garments that I have ever seen, despite how little they actually covered. The vest barely covers my breasts, the loincloth leaves my ass out in the open, and has nothing to conceal my genitals. Much easier access for Cullen to claim, but this is uncomfortable to me. To be publicly claimed scares me. Maybe Cullen will be understanding over my nervousness.

Now, all I can do is wait. Whenever Cullen arrives, the ceremony begins. Already, the wait is slowly eating me up inside; what if he doesn't come? Or chooses someone else? If that were to happen, my heart would most certainly break, and I don't know what I would do with myself. The fear of being left at the altar makes me rest my head on my crossed arms. What if he actually has left me behind?

One hour passes, and then another. Slowly, my hope for this wedding has begun to fade. Why should I even wait now? He's not coming for me. This thought makes my heart sink, and I sigh sadly. Why did he leave me?

Then, the door is opened loudly, the wood slamming against the stone walls. I am taken into Cullen's arms and gently thrown over his shoulder. "I'm sorry for keeping you waiting. Branson hid some very important things of mine, and I had to go retrieve them," he explains.

"I was worried that you left me behind," I respond, grinning. He's here! He's holding my in his arms. And soon, I will be his wife. He gives my bottom a playful pat, then lets his hand linger beneath my loincloth.

"Not wet just yet. I'll have to change that," he muses, his voice dropping so that it is deeper and much more seductive.

"What are you gonna do to me?"

"Now, now, my dear. I can't spoil it! But, I can guarantee you that I'll have you screaming my name. Maybe this is the night we'll be blessed with a child," Cullen answers.

My face heats up at the mere thought of it. Should I tell him now? "I have some news for you."

"And that is?"

"I missed my monthly bleeding. Vera suspects that I'm with child," I answer.

Cullen gently sets me down, his eyes wide. "Y-You may be with child?" he asks.

"Possibly. It is too early to tell, but I certainly hope so."

He pulls me into his arms, hugging me tightly. "Thank the gods, I have been blessed. A wonderful wife, and now I may be a father. We must celebrate," he whispers, breathing out a happy sigh. My arms wrap around his waist, squeezing back. "Samira, I should have known that the augur's omen was a blessing, and not fools words meant to give my false hope. When the hunters brought you to me, the augur said that you had been sent by the Lady of the Skies to be my wife. I should've believed him," Cullen says, kissing my forehead.

"Now, we're together, and you know that the augur was correct," I reply, grinning at him.

"Cullen? Samira? We're ready for the ceremony to begin," Mia says, walking into the room.

At Mia's words, Cullen pulls away. "Of course. We'll be out soon," he answers. His sister leaves, and Cullen picks me up again. "We should get going." I am carried out of the quarters and into the throne room, where the people are waiting for us.

When Cullen sets me down, I glance around the throne room. "No bed?"

"Our consummation won't be out here. Don't you worry about that."

We are separated by the augur, who makes Cullen sit down by a fire with the rope of marriage knots before him. Everyone turns to me. With a soft sigh and a silent prayer to my gods, I begin the song to Rilla.

While his deft fingers untie knot after knot, my voice rings out through the hall, asking Rilla for a fruitful, happy marriage. Hopefully, Rilla hears my prayer, and Cullen and I are blessed. Once the song ends, Cullen puts the rope down, then walks over to me.

"I love you," he whispers, cupping my cheek.

"And I love you too."

"May I present to you, Thane Cullen, and his wife Thaness Samira," the augur announces to the crowd.

Shortly afterwards, the celebration begins. Plates of food are stacked high on tables, wine pours from cups, and children run rampant through the hall. But neither Cullen nor I are paying any attention to that. It's not very long before we sneak back to our chambers, not wasting any time in getting to bed.

"Sylaise enaste var aravel! L-lama, ara las mar lath~ Bellanaris!" I moan out.