Chapter 13 (Trigger Warning)

(Violence, blood, choking, cutting trigger warnings. I just want to be safe so that nobody is triggered by the content of this chapter)

Cullen's grasp tightens around me, and I can feel his strong fingers digging into the robe. "Put the hold on lockdown. Have guards patrolling the hates. I will need guards watching over my quarters," he states diplomatically.

The advisors disband, going to alert the hold of the threat against the Thane and his future bride. "Cullen," I begin, glancing up at him. His jaw is set, hazel eyes dark as he clutches me to him.

"I won't let her touch you," he mumbles, holding me tighter to his chest. One hand goes up to gently stroke my kinky curls, as though he is reassuring me more than he is himself.

Cullen cradles me to his chest, whispering soothing words to me. The whole hold is uneasy from Floria's threat; it's obvious just from watching the people move through the halls, but we have to fight back. Showing fear would hurt more, just as it would have been when I dealt with Corypheus.

For the rest of the day, we are constantly guarded, on watch for Floria. At night, the guards take shifts to protect the bedroom.

The only intimacy between Cullen and I are hugs and cuddling, attempting to calm each other. Sex...it just wouldn't work, we're both on edge.

After some time, Cullen falls asleep, but I remain awake, staring up at the ceiling of the bedchamber. Cullen has hidden several knives in the room, and I pull one out. A slight tap of a foot on the stone floor is heard, and I throw my knife in the direction of the sound.

"You almost hit me," Floria growls.

"And?"

My ears twitch at the sound of a dagger being drawn, and I reach for the nearest throwing knife, which is thankfully under the bed. Floria runs closer, her blade ready to strike. I jump out of bed, which wakes Cullen up in the process.

"Dirty knife ear whore!" Floria bellows, slashing at me and slicing my back. Cullen grabs Floria's ankle and yanks her down. In doing that, Floria drops her blade, and I pick it up.

"Now, that wasn't very nice," I taunt, wincing a little as I turn to face them. All is seemingly calm until Floria kicks Cullen in the face and scrambled away. With a flick of my wrist, the knife goes flying and pierced her in her left shoulder. This doesn't deter her, however, and she runs to me, pinning me to the wall. Her hands wrap around my neck, constricting my flow of oxygen.

Lightheaded...dizzy...her grip gets tighter...I-

Floria's grasp loosens on my neck, and she drops me to the floor. When I look up, coughing, my eyes focus on the blade that is piercing Floria's stomach, crimson blood dripping from the wound. Her eyes roll to the back of her head, the emerald irises disappearing. Her blood gently hits the stone, a soft drip in the silent room.

Cullen removes the sword, and Floria falls down in a crumpled heap. "She will never harm you again," he whispers, leaning down and gently touching my cheek. I pull away from him to roll Floria over-

She wasn't pregnant.