Chapter 12

When I wake up from the nap, I find that Cullen is still awake, discussing matters with Krem. His body is wrapped up in the large red lion robe, the crimson fur shining in the sunlight. Krem leaves and Cullen returns with a bundle of red in his arms. I look to him, eyebrows raising. "This is the pelt of the red lion that you killed. I had it made into a robe for you," he explains, giving me the gift.

My eyes widen at the gesture as I take the gift from him. The robe is just my size, and I grin when I put it in. The soft fur is so warm, it makes me shiver in delight. A chuckle escapes his mouth and he gently kisses my forehead. "I was hoping you would like it," Cullen whispers, pulling me close to him.

"It's wonderful, thank you," I respond. He holds me to him and I sigh in relief.

"I have some business to attend to. Would you like to join me?" Cullen asks, and I nod in response. He pulls away and stands, offering me his hand and helping me up. Cullen guides me to the throne room, gently touching my wild curls. "Your curls are beautiful," he muses, kissing my forehead.

The doors open for Cullen and I, and the people bow to him. Hundreds of people of all ages show their supplication to the Thane, and a chill runs down my spine. These will be my people soon; I'll be their Queen. The mere thought of it makes butterflies flutter around in my stomach.

Cullen leads me to the throne, sitting down and placing me on his lap. Feet hit the floor as the people rise to look upon us. "My people!" Cullen begins, smiling softly, "I have picked my bride."

When the crowd heard this, they all break out into cheers. Smiled are abundant, and the people shout their praise. Women actually line up to get an up-close look at me, saying things in avvar that I don't understand, but I can only guess from the smiles that everything they say is positive.

"That woman said that she thinks you were sent from the Lady of the Skies. Only she could make a creature as beautiful as you," he whispers, gently tickling my sides. My soft giggle makes the woman grin, and I smile back. "Now you say maakam," he continues.

"Maakam," I recite confidently, and the woman beams back at me. She scurries off and the line moves on. More women approach me, speaking in avvar tongue, and my one word answer satisfies them. The line dwindles down, but is soon replaced by a crowd of children.

They all giggle as the little girls scramble around us, admiring me for a bit, then going to see Cullen. One girl actually starts to cry, blubbering in avvar, until Cullen scoops her up in his arms and kisses her forehead. I gently stroke her chestnut colored hair, but her tiny hand slaps mine away, her stormy gray eyes glaring at me as she clings to Cullen.

"I'm sorry, Myra, but you're too young for me. I'm going to marry Samira," Cullen says calmly, placing her on the ground. She huffs, then turns and leaves. "She's only six," he whispers to me, and I laugh.

The people continue their praise, even the children return with crowns of flowers, begging for us to wear them. With some convincing, I manage to put one of the red flower crowns on Cullen, and he puts one of a similar kind on me. The rest are laid at our feet, forming a small garden of wreaths around us. A wide smile crosses my face.

"They love you. I love you," Cullen whispers on my ear, his voice low and soothing.

"I love you too," I reply before he kisses my forehead. The people of the hold continue their praise for a little longer, then they slowly trickle out.

"Krem! Tell Mia to help Rosalie prepare for her upcoming wedding! I must spend time with my bride," he shouts, his voice echoing off the walls of the throne room. Krem salutes silently, then he departs. Shortly after this, we are joined by several advisors and the augur.

"Thane Cullen, we have things that we must discuss," the first advisor begins. He starts discussing the details of the wedding, telling me the significance of the marriage knots and giving me advice as to which of the gods I should sing to.

"My lord, we must formally disband the afoka now. Shall we send them off to other holds, or marry them off to several of the hunters? With Floria, however, this may be an entirely different story. She's far too dangerous, especially with her powers. I think it's best if we-" the second advisor says before a guard interrupts them.

"My lord! Floria has escaped!"